On the Road Again! Help? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 01:02 AM Thread Starter

On the Road Again! Help?

Hey all!
Been a long time since I came to this forum since an injury I had way back. I was also in the middle of getting a forum patch made when I went on haiatus. Which I will get back to if it is still wanted/not done already!

Now on to the main part of my post.

I haven't been on 2 wheels for what feels like nearly a year, and since it's about bike season again on Canada's west coast, I've been doing what maintenance I can on my bike ('99 v-star 650 Classic, only 8,000kms). I'm changing the engine and final drive oil, I put new fuel in the tank, and I have had the battery on a trickle charger. Now, the bike seems to be starting okay, but there seems to be a fuel leak coming from the petcock, as well as a miniscule oil leak that stopped after I started the bike.
Is there an easy fix for the petcock leak?
Also, what else should I do for a maintenance checkup before the riding season?

Thanks!

Last edited by mazeofmystery; 03-21-2015 at 01:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 09:08 AM

Garage
MoM, nice to hear from you again and hope all is well with you. The o rings in the petcock probably dried up and cracked. You will need to drain the tank, remove the petcock, disassemble it and change out the o rings and seals. Where is the oil leak coming from and has it stopped completely?

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Corsair! I'm doing okay haha.

I should drain the carbs and clean them while I'm near there too right? Would changing the oil be smart as well even though I did it after I stopped riding? The first part of spring here = tonnes of rain, so I have lots of time anyways.
I imagine those parts aren't too expensive. Since my bike didn't come with a manual, does anyone know the part numbers for the gaskets and o-rings I would need?
As for the oil, I haven't pinpointed it as I discovered it last night as I was putting the cover over my bike. It was on a material that was like that of a thicker tinfoil on top of the engine? I can't say whether it has stopped completely or not because I have not been able to actually ride yet.

Last edited by mazeofmystery; 03-21-2015 at 11:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 12:15 PM

Garage
Glad to see you back MoM! Please continue with the forum patch designs you were working on.
If it were me, I'd drain and clean the carbs while you're already there. That's just me though considering you've gotten a lot of rain. You should be able to find the part numbers online. If I still had my 650 manual I'd look them up for you. Let us know how it goes. Ride safely!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Keith!
I will get back to the patch straight away!
And I was cleaning up my whole bike as my weekend started today. And due to living in a small town, NOTHING is open for the supplies I needed for a maintenance overhaul haha! Ah well, guess there's always tomorrow :P

99' V-Star 650 Classic
- AIS deleted
- Kuryakyn black ISO grips

ENJOY THE RIDE, NOT THE SPEED.
"Assume everyone else is trying to kill you."
"There's always more lean!"

Glad to be back, I just wish the stores here were open on Sundays.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 04:38 PM

Garage
I understand MoM, been there before myself. Just glad you're ok and getting back in the proverbial saddle. Keep us updated!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

I didn't want to make another topic, so I thought I would just pop my questions in here:
1. How do I know when to replace the springs in my forks? Even when I first got my bike, I noticed the front end suspension was soft (for me), but maybe it's supposed to be like that?
2. I was told at my local Yamaha shop that for the amount of work and money you would have to put in, a big air or hypercharger kit isn't really worth what you get out of it performance-wise. Is that true?
And 3. I got new seals for my petcock. I am deathly afraid of removing my gas tank to install them myself, as I have only ever changed the filters and fluids on my bike before. any good step-by-step guides anyone can link me to?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 03:40 PM

Garage
MoM,
I've found if you're leaking any fluid(seal failure), or if you're bike doesn't rebound very well after hitting a bump, then I'd been looking at replacement of the springs. I'm sure you can find stiffer ones if that's what you want to do.
As far as the hyper charger or other aftermarket air kit, they do help. My bike is fuel injected, and my kit made a big difference in the performance. With an exhaust upgrade, and open air kit, you should feel the difference right away. As far as #3, you might find a video on YouTube, or another member may have a better suggestion. Hope this helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode