help with 2003 v star 650 mechanical /electrical issue - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

help with 2003 v star 650 mechanical /electrical issue

Hello, i am looking for help regarding a possible mechanical and/or electrical issue with my 2003 v star 650. The bike has just a little over 9k miles on it.

My plan this weekend was to change the oil and battery but upon putting in a brand new, fully charged battery, i attempted to start the bike to let it run for a while before i changed the oil. Upon turning the switch on, what i assume was the fuel pump turned on and gasoline began to pour out right behind the air filter, causing the bike to fail to start. A few individuals who I had spoken to locally stated that this was probably coming from the over flow due to a possible clog in the carburetor. I believe this to be true due to my negligence in leaving the fuel line on during the off season.

I then proceeded in removing the carburetor and cleaned it with carb cleaner, followed by putting it all back together and changed the gasoline.

At this point i then attepted to start the bike again and good news was that it was no longer leaking gas. Bad news it that it will not start. It sounded like it wanted to kick over but seemed like it just was not getting any fuel.

To test this i pulled the tank and air filter off, sprayed a little carb cleaner in the carburetor and it started right up and ran for a few seconds. I followed this up by applying power to the fuel pump, which did in fact kick on.

I should stress that I am not an expert on motorcycles or mechanical work what so ever. I am a fast learner though and do enjoy working on projects as such.

I am uncertain as to whether I may have left some information out or whether I gave a little more than needed, but any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated. Should there be any additional questions i will try and answer as best as possible but I am still learning.

Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 05:02 PM

sounds like a plugged fuel linei'm not sure how yours are routed but i would take one off the carb and turn the key on.mine plugged last year i forgot to add stabil and the line right off the petcock had a wad of the nasties in it.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks nick. I will probably try that this week and it seems like i could eliminate a lot of possibilities at once ie. fuel pump, emissions canister, fuel filter, lines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 06:44 PM
Premium Member

Location: Apopka Florida, a twist in the road just northwest of Orlando Florida My home for over 30 years
Garage
Check all fuel related items including the tank, change the fuel filter,
Pull the carb bowls and clean the pilot jets and main jets.

you must have clean unobstructed fuel flow to the carbs.

Lines and filter are all suspect here.

jake

2000 Vstar 650 Classic , Firethorn orange Metal flake Urethane, OEM tall Windshield, 47 Harley Tail light mod, progressive springs, hard bags painted to match w/chr. bullet accents Custom Modified rear rack/backrest, Cobra Modified exhaust w/ chrome Pencil tips, Hyper charger kit,
PRV 15, Riser mounted speakers, Chrome levers,Fringe grips, studded Leather bib with pocket, Billet Oil filter relocation kit , 3.5 PMS w/ stock pilots, mains- 122.5, Custom billet t signals
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Heres an update. I pulled the fuel line to the carb and hit the on switch. There was fuel flowing.

I had then put the fuel line back in and attempted to start the bike. With the choke pulled all the way out it will run for about 5 seconds then shut down. It seems it is in the carb still, most likely where the fuel line attaches. i will probably have to have the carburetor pulled out and stripped down completely.

I did not try and change the fuel filter yet as noted but did not suspect as there was fuel flowing.

Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode