Engine Bogging Down at 1/4 Throttle - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
eGo

Question Engine Bogging Down at 1/4 Throttle

Hello All!

So, I've already done a lot of searching, and there are lots of posts that reference this issue or one similar to it. I wanted to start my own thread in hopes of detailing my steps towards a resolution and provide as much help to our members as possible. I also plan to provide a video of what's happening as that may help other members properly diagnose the issue. I'm going to separate this post into two sections (one for each zone so to speak), Exhaust and Carburetor. A brief description of my current issues is that when giving the bike more than 1/4 throttle it begins to bog down, it will accelerate, but sluggishly and sounds like one of the cylinders isn't firing. If less than 1/4 throttle it will sputter/jump around like it's trying to catch. Also, the bike came with Hard Krome Sideburner 2-1 Exhaust. I Love the way it looks, but the decel pop is pretty annoying. Post #2 will be for Carburetor and will be updated with steps taken and their results. Post #3 will be for Exhaust and will mirror post #2. All Questions will be in RED and Answers will be in Black.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to your responses and helping out the community!

eGo
stratsurvivor likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
eGo

Carburetor Symptoms and Steps to Resolution

Symptoms

Bike bogs down when more than 1/4 Throttle is applied.
Bike sputters/jumps when less than 1/4 Throttle is applied.
Bike idles correctly when stopped.
Bike idles at high RPM when moving. (Somebody recently fixed this and I cannot find the thread to save my life)

What steps should be taken besides cleaning and rebuilding the carbs?

What is the adjustment to the clutch regarding the high idle when moving?

I keep reading directions about adjusting/testing the TPS. It says to rotate it, I haven't found any videos showing the process, could somebody expand on this process?

Should I Rejet my carbs to accommodate the Hard Krome Sideburner exhaust?

Jet for the hardchromes you only go up one size. Stock main jets are 110 in the rear and 112 in the front, put the 112 in the rear and buy a 115 for the front.

Last edited by eGo; 05-04-2015 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Udpating
post #3 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
eGo

Exhaust Symptoms

Exhaust pops on Deceleration

Should I rejet the carbs while I have them apart for cleaning to accommodate the Hard Krome Sideburner? If so, what size jets?

Jet for the hardchromes you only go up one size. Stock main jets are 110 in the rear and 112 in the front, put the 112 in the rear and buy a 115 for the front.

Should I remove the AIS or adjust the PMS?

If you turn the PMS screw out a quarter turn you will get rid of the popping on decel.

Are there any negative effects to removing/bypassing the AIS?

If you have aftermarket pipes there are no negative effects from removing the AIS.

Last edited by eGo; 05-04-2015 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Updating
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 08:09 PM

you have to much going on for my noggin to comprehend.
so forget the hypercharger for now,if you jet for the hardchromes you only go up one size.stock main jets are110 in the rear and 112 in the front,put the 112 in the rear and buy a 115 for the front.
if you turn the pms screw out a quarter turn you will get rid of the popping on decel.
if you have aftermarket pipes there are no negative effects from removing the ais.
post #5 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
eGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick57 View Post
you have to much going on for my noggin to comprehend.
so forget the hypercharger for now,if you jet for the hardchromes you only go up one size.stock main jets are110 in the rear and 112 in the front,put the 112 in the rear and buy a 115 for the front.
if you turn the pms screw out a quarter turn you will get rid of the popping on decel.
if you have aftermarket pipes there are no negative effects from removing the ais.
Thanks for the response, Nick! I appreciate the info. I will modify my original posts accordingly.
post #6 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
eGo

Quote:
One question about this, I'm assuming I need to turn the PMS on BOTH carbs, not just one? It makes sense that they would both need to be turned, but I don't want to assume.. Here's hoping that the plugs were already removed. Don't want to pull the carbs if I don't have to.

TIA!

eGo
post #7 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 04:01 PM

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-Kr...I4S2pMUFE/edit the hardest part of jetting is removing the float bowl screws there soft and strip easily their not phillips head their called gis.good luck getting a gis screwdriver.(others chime in now).Read the kb section on tuning everything is in there.
post #8 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
eGo

Quote:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-Kr...I4S2pMUFE/edit the hardest part of jetting is removing the float bowl screws there soft and strip easily their not phillips head their called gis.good luck getting a gis screwdriver.(others chime in now).Read the kb section on tuning everything is in there.
Thank You! That will prove to be very helpful! And I actually do have the gis bits already. I used to install phones for a prison, had to use the security screws on everything. You can actually buy the bits at AutoZone or Harbor Freight cheaply.

Last edited by eGo; 05-05-2015 at 08:50 PM.
post #9 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
eGo

Alright, so this morning I bypassed the AIS and pulled the plugs.. It is obvious to me that the front cylinder is NOT firing. So I'm going to test the coil now, hoping it's just a bad coil and not the CDI.. ;\ I have already tested the stator and the rectifier is brand new. I will get to the bottom of this! lol

Front Cylinder :

Rear Cylinder :

post #10 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
eGo

And, we have a bad coil! Failed on both the primary and the secondary.. 6.73ohm on the primary and zilch on the secondary.. Now to see if the local dealer has one in stock.. Unless anybody has a cross reference for a part that will work that's "non-dealer"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode