1st to Neutral? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

1st to Neutral?

I went out for a ride today on my v star 1300 and for some reason I couldn't get my toe shifter to shift from 1st to neutral it won't budge for the life of me. I had to kill the engine then it would pop into neutral. What could be the issue??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 02:39 PM

First gear didn't ratchet all the way down, clutch not fully disengaged, sticky clutch plates, and more. With good firm pressure the bike should have come out of gear with the clutch problems, but a brand new ratchet mechanism can act like that if you aren't firmly engaging your gears. You can be in gear and not fully ratcheted at the same time.

Has the problem come back at all? Word of warning. If the clutch isn't disengaging you'll know it when you start the bike and/or first put it in gear. Hold the brake down just in case.

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Memphis Shades Fork Deflectors
Bridgestone Exedra Max Belted Tires
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 09:05 PM

I have trouble on my Road Star somewhat as I did on the Vstar 1300 with getting into neutral. If possible shift to neutral while the bike is still rolling .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 07:03 AM Thread Starter

1st to Neutral?

When I was riding the bike yesterday the toe shifter wouldn't move into any gear it's really frustrating I can't figure it out. My heel shifter is fine. I'm wondering if the gearbox needs to be oiled or could it be the clutch cable line needs to be replaced. I have an 07 star 1300

Last edited by vstarjoe; 05-18-2015 at 07:06 AM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

1st to Neutral?

Took the bike in today at my local bike shop and the results were a stretched and frayed clutch cable line. And my clutch had too much free play. That was an easy fix but the clutch cable line is another issue...

So a warning for all you v star 1300 owners who swapped out their stock handlebars to the RSTD bar I would definitely check your clutch cable (probably too short). As for not breaking any new lines with the RSTD bar that's a load of bs. 😡

Last edited by vstarjoe; 05-19-2015 at 05:37 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 06:55 PM

Glad you found it. I was beginning to think I was off in left field or something.

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Memphis Shades Fork Deflectors
Bridgestone Exedra Max Belted Tires
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode