Throttle lag - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 06:37 AM Thread Starter

Throttle lag

2007 xvs1100A US import to the UK

Got a slight problem with the above bike (it is not a California spec bike btw), there is a slight 1-2 second flat spot on initial acceleration having taken the plugs out it looks a little lean.
Maybe a little history on recent work carried out will help here.
The bike was flooding horrendously after initial start up and just died, when stripping it down pools of petrol were quite noticeable in the air intake rubbers making carb removal an urgent necessity.
The carbs were stripped, blown through three times with pressurised carb cleaner then compressed air and rebuilt with new 'o' rings seals etc. (I did remove the enricher diaphragm's lord knows what 50 psi would have done to those ).
The float levels were way, way out the carbs were literally drowning in petrol, these were reset, all reassembled, refitted, bang instant start and quite a sweet idle.
Initial test riding of the bike seemed ok except for a slight lag on take up when opening the throttle as I eluded to earlier when whipping out the plugs they look to be a touch lean.
Now, the only part of the carb untouched was the PMS screws being behind the brass plug that they fit on the US models, being supposedly factory set and the bike having covered some 17000 miles I figured they should be correct so never bothered drilling the plugs out.
I took the opportunity to carry out a full oil/filter and plug service at the same time.
My question is (and after doing a little research), is the lag possibly due to the PMS needing resetting, would I be better looking here first then if it still needs tuning check the carb balance?
Many thanks
Mike.
Whoops one important point nearly missed, the bike is in totally standard trim, jets needles cans etc.

Last edited by Hoboh; 05-22-2015 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Missed information
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoboh View Post
is the lag possibly due to the PMS needing resetting, would I be better looking here first then if it still needs tuning check the carb balance?

If you have not already done so, sync the carbs. Do that first before anything else.

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Well done the carb sync, drilled the brass caps and then tweaked the PMS screws, runs a whole sight better now.
Alas found another little irritant the front AIS chrome pipe has a little rot hole underneath on top of the side casing and I am lead to believe that from 2006 0nwards Cats are fitted to the standard cans and AIS removal is a no no.
Any advice? I thought with all the removal of these going on, eBay would be awash with them but no it's not
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 07:01 AM

Find you a used pair of pre 06 pipes (no cats) install them and remove the AIS and you should be good to go. That's what the PO did on the bike I have. I also have the entire AIS system if you are interested in that as well.

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 11:04 AM

I agree with Summer. Find someone, (hopefully), near you that has done the removal and see can ya get one from them. I disconnected mine but haven't yet removed. Also, if hole isn't too big maybe some JB Weld or something similar to cover the hole.

Sonysnek
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply's, I thought I'd just try a temporary fix and wind some duct tape around it, believe it or not it runs better and the bubbling/popping on idle has all but gone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode