gremlin? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

gremlin?

1100,turn the key on hit the start button everything goes dead wait 5 seconds later lights come back on.after the 4th try the lights stayed off, so i checked the battery and 12.56 volts turn the key on and the volts drop to 1.0,cheched the small fuse bok behing the tool cover and they check continuity.last time i tried to start it there was a spark from the negative battery terminal, i tightened up the screw and push the start button and it starts.is it just a bad connection at the neg,screw?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 01:59 PM
eGo

Most likely. Bad grounds can cause a lot of crazy issues.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

no,it does not make sense
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 08:48 PM
eGo

I didn't say it made sense.. lol I had a 90' Mercury Cougar that would do the same thing. Couldn't figure out why, turned out that the negative battery clamp was cracked and wasn't making good contact.. Replaced it and it would start every time..
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 12:11 PM

I would say check that the bat screw has a lock nut on it. I had a small battery that only screwed into the lead connection on top and had no locking nut. The lead stripped out and the screw wouldn't tighten up all the way. Kept loosening up and loosing contact. eGo is correct, bad grounding can cause all sorts of weird stuff.

Sonysnek
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

i have an aux. power strip and the ground for it is a small eye wire connector under the head of the screw. i removed it a month ago when the first problem happened, i think i need to sand everything down to shiny metal...i guess when i hit the starter button it pops and goes dead then everything comes back on after ten seconds its like a reset confusing. bad connection. not actually a gremlin.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 07:18 AM
Premium Member

I am not a bike mechanic but I am an electronic tech. Check the voltage directly on the battery terminals and if voltage drops to 1v at the terminals when the key is turned on then the battery is opening up, it can be intermittent. You will have to replace the battery. If the battery voltage does not drop at the terminals then check and clean all connections.

LupGarou

2005 V Star 1100 Classic, Mustang seats, Baron ORK, risers and Star handlebar, AIS removed, muffler baffles removed, run/turn/brake light controller, modulating headlight, pods installed in air box, progressive front springs.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

good idea soon as i get time works chasing my tail. hey you can see bronson on you tube
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 10:20 PM
Premium Member

I will check it out, I remember watching it as a kid and always wanted to get a bike, strap a bedroll on the forks and take off for parts unknown, "going down that long lonesome highway".

Loup

2005 V Star 1100 Classic, Mustang seats, Baron ORK, risers and Star handlebar, AIS removed, muffler baffles removed, run/turn/brake light controller, modulating headlight, pods installed in air box, progressive front springs.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 11:11 AM

Yea had those same thoughts.

Sonysnek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode