What parts of carb can i soak in chem dip? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

What parts of carb can i soak in chem dip?

I apologize if i am posting in the wrong section or if this has already been answered... im new here and havent quite got the hang of these forums. I have my carbs disassembled almost entirely (few stripped screws preventing me from full disassembly) and i dont know what the internals look like.. if jets or anything have rubber o rings or the inside of the carb body has o rings or plastic. So, what can i soak in chem dip? These carbs are gnarly, so i need to soak everything possible. Thanks in advance for the help fellas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 07:14 AM

Not sure how effective it is but NAPA has a product that is in a gallon can with a strainer basket inside. You just throw the parts in the basket and let it set. I wouldn't put anything plastic or rubber in there though. A little google searching will show you plenty pics of the carbs. You can also check out the rejetting section in the 1100wiki page as that has some pics too. Also some advise there on those stripped bowl screws.

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 10:03 AM

What summer said.

That kind of carb cleaner will eat pretty much anything that isn't metal.

It does a very good job of cleaning a carb. Soak the carb for an hour or so, then rinse the parts in HOT water and blow out every orifice you can find (in the carb that is) with high pressure air.

Be careful when doing that as some of the holes will cause blow back and you'll get crap in your eyes (wear goggles). Don't ask how I know this.

2005 Road Star Midnight
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Thank you fellas. The carb has been soaking for plenty long now, tonight I will reassemble her and see how she does! While this post is active, I'd like to know a little about carb synching? My previous bike only had 1.. So I know nothing about this. Is this something that I should do? Links to any threads on it? Thanks again all!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaudiestMango4 View Post
Thank you fellas. The carb has been soaking for plenty long now, tonight I will reassemble her and see how she does! While this post is active, I'd like to know a little about carb synching? My previous bike only had 1.. So I know nothing about this. Is this something that I should do? Links to any threads on it? Thanks again all!
I used to have a Royal Star Venture (4 carbs). Had a sync tool that I bought on-line for $100. Took max 15 min to sync all 4. Basically all you're doing is making the vacuum amount even between the carbs.

Sorry I have no link for that but I'm sure if you google it ....

What bike do you have 2 carbs on?

2005 Road Star Midnight
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 09:59 PM

Again I will point you in the direction of the 1100wiki page. There you will find all you need to know about your carbs including procedures for syncing. Even has instruction for a DIY manometer

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 04:58 AM

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1...r-must-do-list you should read about the proper starting procedure. the tuning section talks about carbs and sincing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode