Mid Drive Shaft/Pinion - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Mid Drive Shaft/Pinion

Well somehow today it BROKE and now Im in need of a used one if possible. The stealership here quoted me $650 just for the part so I will be breaking down the motor myself. I have no idea how it snapped off but it did! The nut made a mess too!!

Anyone have a motor for sale or just that part?????

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 08:37 PM

Garage
Most say that if the nut gets loose just a little it will brake off like that. I have seen the intermediate shaft on eBay from 39$ to 200$.
There are some DIY fixes out there. good luck and hope you are riding soon.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmalldanzil View Post
Most say that if the nut gets loose just a little it will brake off like that. I have seen the intermediate shaft on eBay from 39$ to 200$.
There are some DIY fixes out there. good luck and hope you are riding soon.
I fixed mine for less than $50. No need to replace the shaft.

Look HERE and scroll down to read everything under this heading "Instructions, step by step (Thanks, Cobb!)" ....

It's best to remove the swing arm (Yamaha says you should grease it every 16,000 miles anyway) to do the job.....but it's easy to get off.

Other than me, I know dozens of other riders that did this fix and no one has ever had another failure over the past 5 years.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff

Last edited by Sick Mick; 06-17-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I actually found that thread yesterday. All I need to do now is actually drill and tap but Im a tad on the nervous side!

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 08:11 PM

Just make sure your in the center and keep it going straight into the shaft. Sometimes it's easier if you have another pair of eyes helping to keep things going straight.

The drilling is actually not that hard and didn't take long at all. Just be really careful with the tap. I've seen more than one guy break a tap off inside and that makes it pretty bad.

Looks like your speedo sensor made it....mine got wiped out.

Here is mine after drilling....

and the broken pieces...

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff

Last edited by Sick Mick; 06-17-2012 at 08:16 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 08:45 PM

That's really weird as of why that would break, there really isn't any pressure on that stud. I understand if it backs off but to just break makes me wonder.. hmmm now I'm scared to ride my 1100 LOL

Sent from my ADR6350 using Motorcycle.com Free App

BLUE BIKE CLUB
2006 V STAR CLASSIC
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 08:49 PM

It breaks because the nut loosens and allows the yoke to twist. Stake the nut onto the shaft and you'll never have an issue.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Mick View Post
It breaks because the nut loosens and allows the yoke to twist. Stake the nut onto the shaft and you'll never have an issue.
I'm going to do that when I change my tire here soon. Since I have never done this what all needs to come off to stake it sick mick??

Sent from my ADR6350 using Motorcycle.com Free App

BLUE BIKE CLUB
2006 V STAR CLASSIC
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 08:39 PM

I'd just pull the swing arm and re-grease all the bearings. It's supposed to be done every 16,000 miles anyway. You can get right to it then.

You can try to work around with the swing arm still on....it's a tight squeeze but it can probably be done...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode