Fi2000R settings on my V-Star 950 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Fi2000R settings on my V-Star 950

I know this has kind of been discussed to death, but I'm trying to get the best settings on my Fi2000R O2 for the Caliente Rocket. I've got stock intake and Cobra Speedster Longs.

I did some searching here on this forum and some other sites. Basically what I learned is that there's no magic settings that work for everyone, and that I need to experiment. I've been poking around with my settings a little bit, but sort of random and without much thought into it. Right now I'm at 2.5/7/7. Idle and cruise are fine all the way up to highway speeds, moderate acceleration is usually okay, but sometimes bogs a little bit. But when I really pop the throttle open, it bogs and actually loses power a little. Doesn't stall or anything, just obviously not the right mixture. I'm thinking maybe I'm running too rich, since I don't have a BAK yet.

What I want to do is have some kind of systematic approach to make sure I get the best mixture (or close enough to it). What's the best way to do that? Other than shell out a bunch of coin for a dyno run. Start with the settings high and back them off? Start with the settings low and work my way up?

I'm sure this will take some trial and error, but that's okay as long as I'm not blindly turning pots and hoping for the best. I know this module is supposed to be similar to tuning a carburetor, where green=PMS, yellow=needle jet and red=main, so if any of you carb guys have advice, feel free to chime in.

Charter member, Greatest Bike in the History of the World Club

The Caliente Rocket is a 2009 V-Star 950
- Cobra Speedster exhaust
- Mustang Daytripper seat
- Memphis Shades windshield, sometimes
- Hardstreet Classic Tour Saddlebags

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Last edited by Caliente Pocket; 07-03-2012 at 11:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator

settings are way too high, even if you did have aftermarket air intake. you should be no more than 3 or 4 for all 3 settings if all you have is new exhaust. i'd recommend starting at 2.5/2/2 and then adjust from there accordingly. it will take some trial and error until you find your sweet spot depending on your setup and how you ride.

i have the same FMS, V&H big radius 2-into-2, and LA Choppers XXX air kit and i think my settings are at 2.5/3/3 (i'm too lazy to go get the exact reading right now). don't know if that's perfect, but it seems to give me the best performance without wasting gas.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, that makes sense. I was going off the instructions that came with it which say "Typically 2 into 1 or our speedster exhaust system require one additional position, on the yellow and red pots, over slip-ons or staggered duals," and show 2.5/7/8 for full exhaust and 2.5/6/3 for slip-on (apparently 8-3=1?). Mine showed up set to 2.5/7/8, and I just left it there. But I backed the red pot down to 7 a week or two ago and that seemed to help, so now I want to try to get it right.

So bottom line, start out possibly lean and add fuel until it's right...?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Big difference already. Just drove home from work with the settings at 2.5/2/2, and the throttle response is a lot smoother. Still need to tweak it a little because it hesitates a little during 5th gear roll-ons from around 40 mph, but this is a lot closer to right. Now I'm going to go try 2.5/3/3 and see if it's better or worse.

I figured I was running a little rich, bu I didn't realize it was that rich. Jeez.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Well that was easy.

I expected a lot more trial and error than this, but at 2.5/3/3, I'm pretty close to perfect.

Good God, it's like a whole different bike. And this one makes my knuckles sore.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

i went on a 3,000 mile trip with my current setup and settings at around 3/7/7 back in '10 and going about 95mph most of the way. my fuel light came on right at the 100 mile mark each time. a lot of wasted gas on that trip.

after that trip, what i did to adjust my settings was run through a tank at one setting, then raise the pots one mark and run through another tank. and i kept doing that until i didn't notice any performance gains and then dropped it back down a notch. i'd like to get it up on a dyno and get it tuned perfectly but i have to be pretty close with my settings as they are.

on a steel horse I ride

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 04:53 AM
Super Moderator

i just realized that i was wrong. about my settings. they're actually at 2/4/5. whoops. but again, everyone's ride and how everyone rides is different. so what works for me may not be best for you and vice versa.

on a steel horse I ride

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode