ignition fuse - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

ignition fuse

Hi, I have a 2004 vstar650 classic thatis not getting any spark. It is all of a sudden problem that I cant figure out. Can anyone tell me where the ignition fuse is on this bike? Repair manual tells me to check it but I dont know where it is! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 05:40 AM

Garage
It's behind the side panel(right) in a rectangle box holding the fuses, left too right it will be the #3 fuse.
ps. there should be some spare fuses in that box

Last edited by farmalldanzil; 10-15-2015 at 05:43 AM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 05:52 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. I was afraid that was the answer. All the fuses in the box are fine. I have run out of simple fix items and keep coming back to a bad pickup coil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 06:02 AM

Garage
things to check

It could be some thing like the kick stand switch or neutral switch. At worst it could be on the input side of the ignition system or ignitor.?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all your help. I broke down amd took it to a pro who has confirmed it is the pickup coil. I have ordered the parts, now I have to wait
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

OK, so my guy replaced the pickup coil, still won't start. I replaced the CDI bix, still won't start. Took the battery in to get tested, tested out OK. No spark on the rear plug,spark on the front. Switch coils front to back and still no spark on rear. Coils are tested OK as they both work on the front and both don't on the rear. Kick stand switch was broken, had that repaired, still no spark and no start. I am pulling out my hair.....

Any ideas? There has to be some issue in the 12 inches between the battery and the rear coil - I have run out of parts to buy.

HELP!!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno1974 View Post
OK, so my guy replaced the pickup coil, still won't start. I replaced the CDI bix, still won't start. Took the battery in to get tested, tested out OK. No spark on the rear plug,spark on the front. Switch coils front to back and still no spark on rear. Coils are tested OK as they both work on the front and both don't on the rear. Kick stand switch was broken, had that repaired, still no spark and no start. I am pulling out my hair.....

Any ideas? There has to be some issue in the 12 inches between the battery and the rear coil - I have run out of parts to buy.

HELP!!
the cdi is that the brains the expensive part?check the continuity of the wire going to the coil, isn't there two wires one going to each coil?you switched the coils did you switch the wires? i guess that would'nt work on a single fire ignition.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

The two wires to the coil only fit one way. There is a larger and a smaller connector that fit the corresponding connector.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 08:48 PM

i'm looking at a wireing diagram for an 1100 and one wire comes from the ignitor and the other comes from the shutting off circuit. since the other coil is working i would think the wire to the shutoff circuit is working. so is there continuity with the wire that goes to the cdi? are you getting power to the coil?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Not sure how to check that wire for continuity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode