Starter Clutch - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Starter Clutch

Hey all, I'm going to ask a question I'm afraid I already know the answer to. Have a 2006 1100 Classic with 36,000+mi. Starter spins but doesn't turn the engine over. I've read that earlier models had problems with the one way clutch but Yamaha fixed it. According to my Clymers it has a one way clutch. I'm going to pull the starter today to see if it's damaged. Any chance from others experience that I just have a bad starter or is this almost always the clutch? Also, has anyone had any experience with the cheaper clutch kit from ideal engine parts? Moneys tight right now but I don't want to be tearing this down again in 6 months. Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 06:18 PM

Unfortunately it's probably the starter clutch from your description. I've never changed mine.....but if it ever goes out I'm sticking to Yamaha parts. I have seen issues with the cheap imports...too many times for me to want to risk it. I can't see buying the same thing twice because I was trying to save a few bucks. Keep in mind that this is just my opinion....

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 07:00 PM

Garage
Even the latest OEM Yamaha parts wont over come bad starting practices.
Are your starting practices good ones?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

I think your right Sick Mick. I dug into some of the reviews and a lot of them say the parts didn't fit right and some said they failed quickly. So if it's between not riding and living on Top Ramon looks like I'll have to bite the bullet. JK it's not that bad, but if it was...
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Farmalldanzil: Honestly, I didn't even know there was starting procedures until I started digging into these threads. I've been hard on the clutch more then once. Lesson learned
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 05:45 PM

Garage
what is it with 1100s and the starter clutch. do these engines have a habit of kicking back or something which would crack the race on the one way bearing. also a lot of posts about cam timing messing up after changing one. i always mark every gear in a cam timing system whether it needed to be lined or not and never had a problem, i can't understand why 1100s are so tough to get the timing right.

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 06:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean209 View Post
I think your right Sick Mick. I dug into some of the reviews and a lot of them say the parts didn't fit right and some said they failed quickly. So if it's between not riding and living on Top Ramon looks like I'll have to bite the bullet. JK it's not that bad, but if it was...
it looks like the reinforced ones have larger rollers it sure looks stronger

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 06:14 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmalldanzil View Post
Even the latest OEM Yamaha parts wont over come bad starting practices.
Are your starting practices good ones?
exactly, never engage a starter when things are still moving sometimes the engine will stop for a second then roll back, if the starter engages on the roll back.. bang go's the one way bearing!!!

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 09:12 PM

Many people try to start the 1100 by cranking the starter for 2-3 seconds and expect it to start every time...like an FI vehicle. Then when it doesn't start, they crank the throttle open which throws the timing out (TPS) and this can cause the motor to kick back and damage the starter clutch. This is compounded by repeated 2-3 second stabs on the starter...which only increases the odds of failure.

You start an 1100 by holding the start button down until it starts. No throttle....no letting up (within reason)

Even with a starter clutch replacement.....it's about the only semi-expensive thing to ever go wrong with these bikes...and 80%+ are self inflicted. A $400 repair bill in the life of a motorcycle isn't much at all..... Most other big name brands you'd be in far more than that.

It isn't all that hard to keep the timing straight....you just need to keep it straight, like you mentioned, as simple as marking things correctly.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Mick View Post

Even with a starter clutch replacement.....it's about the only semi-expensive thing to ever go wrong with these bikes...and 80%+ are self inflicted. A $400 repair bill in the life of a motorcycle isn't much at all..... Most other big name brands you'd be in far more than that.
I wish it was a $400 repair bill. 3 quotes now from both dealerships and an independent mechanic, all coming in a $1000 for parts and labor.

I am not confident in my ability to repair it correctly. Now the bike sits for the rest of the already short season here in southern Ontario.

Sigh.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode