Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Fuel Pump / No Start Issues

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  MMjohns195 
#1 ·
Hey Guys, new Vstar owner just picked up a low Mileage 1100. First some history, the bike has low miles 8790, and has been sitting since October 15. When i went to see the bike i had to jump it to get it started, the bike took awhile to warm up before i could give it throttle without dying. I chalked this up to pretty much just run of the mill effects from sitting since October. I got the bike home (Via Trailer). The bike sat over night, and the next day i went out to start it, it started up fine, i let the engine warm up and drove it around the neighborhood. I forgot that the choke was all the way out, but that shouldn't have hurt it. I came to a stop and it died. I assumed it was the battery when it wouldn't restart.

I had my wife come jump the bike, and it would idle at a very very low idle, and as soon as i gave it gas it would die. I was able to get it started, and it would only run/move via full choke and only by letting the clutch out very slowly i got it most of the way home and it hasn't started since. It cranks and turns over but does not fire except for just a minute or two when i have turned it off and on in succession, i can hear the fuel pump.

I replaced the plugs with the correct gap. I have since checked the plugs to make sure they are sparking, they are. I thought perhaps part of my problem was that when it died in the neighborhood and my wife came i used old gas to top it off. I've siphoned the tank dry, bought new gas and put some seafoam in the tank. Still won't catch when it turns over.

I then decided to check my fuel, since all of this sounds like a fuel issue so i checked the line before the fuel filter, when i turn the pet cock fuel pours out. I checked the line after the filter, fuel pours out. I checked the fuel pump, it squirts out but not in a solid stream, and only goes out a little bit. maybe 6-8 inches from where the pump is, i'm concerned that maybe my fuel pump is bad, because it's not pushing enough to get to the carbs resulting in me not being able to ride my basically brand new bike.

Any thoughts or analysis would be great, i'm at the point where i'm ready to take the bike in to a mechanic, if you have any suggestions i'll take them!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
sound's like plugged pilot jets. the fuel pump is a low pressure pump so don't expect a lot fuel to come out, it also stops pumping a few seconds after you stop cranking on a no start. turning the key on and off will keep cycling the pumps 5or6 second run time. once the engine is running it will run only long enough to keep the bowls full. if carb bowls are filling it's good. pilot jets aren't just for idle purposes they come into play up to about half throttle. another cause of that condition is an vacuum leak. i'v seen tight intake valves clearances cause it also. remove the carb bowls and spray some cleaner through the pilot and main jets, that's were i would start.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.