Sudden Loss of Power! Need more.. - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
M60

Garage
Unhappy Sudden Loss of Power! Need more..

Model: 2000 V Star 650 Classic
Mileage: 17,500 miles on the speedo
Owners: I've been the second owner for the past 15k miles

Hello, thanks for stopping by to help a rider out!

A little bit of history about the problem goes back about 100 miles ago.. I was getting on the freeway one sunny day and when I ride, I usually shift into 4th gear at around 60mph until then it's all 3rd gear. The engine vibration is pretty strong at around 50mph in 3rd gear, but I heard that's normal for V Stars so I never fret about it. However this time, when I applied throttle to get up to 60 mph, the engine suddenly lost all it's power! No matter how much throttle I gave, the engine would only react with a sputtering sound and a huge lack of power. I was able to get off the freeway and ride it back home, but I had to keep the RPMs very low otherwise the engine would sputter out again. If I remember correctly, I barely made it back while riding around 25 mph in 4th gear... After putting 1 oz of seafoam into the tank and waiting till the next day, the bike would start and run fine again.

Now, I'm able to ride on the highway but I still feel a small lack of power when I'm cruising around 65 mph at 5th gear. Also, I've noticed that I've been having to allow my engine to warm up with full choke for much longer than usual before taking it to the streets.

I've rode this V Star for 15k miles without it ever running sluggishly. And now I have to triple check that my engine is warm before I apply 1/4 throttle. This seemed to be an ongoing problem after that highway incident, which is why I brought that story up.

What might be causing this engine to run sluggishly?

Some clues I've found is my front spark plug is looking fine, but my rear one had either oil/gas just on the threads around the tip. Not too much! But enough to where if I put it under a light, I can see a shine of some sort of liquid.

One more thing to note is, I've been maintaining this V Star meticulously: valve adjustments, oils change, spark plug change, you name it. HOWEVER, I've only been able to take apart and clean the carb that's attached to my front cylinder! Never have I been able (in my 15k miles of ownership) to access my rear side carb because the PO completely stripped the screws on both sides of the carb. That might be a big indication to where my engine is failing! But I don't know.. Hell I'm stuck and will be more than appreciative of any help you guys can offer

Thanks for reading,
PEACE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 04:38 AM

personally i think you should shift way before 60. i have an 1100 an at 60 im shifting into 5th.your rear plug is fouled and you cant remove and clean your rear carb. pretty good chance thats the problem
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 03:30 PM

Garage
get yourself one of those grab it tools to get all the brass screws out and use stainless allen bolts in place of em. also the middle of the powerband on my 650 is 35 in 3rd 45 in 4th and 60 in 5th try taking it easier you'll enjoy the bike more and be safer to yourself and people around you. i mean 60 in 3rd is close to red lining it. don't expect the engine to last redlining through the gears all the time. i hope you didn't rev it so high a valve floated and got hit which can happen at high revs

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers

Last edited by pauli466; 05-11-2016 at 03:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode