2005 V-Star 1100 won't rev past 1/3 throttle - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

2005 V-Star 1100 won't rev past 1/3 throttle

Hi all,

Brand new here and this, my first post, is due to mechanical failure and owner meltdown...

The bike died one rainy night in a flooded condition. No start so towed it home. Took carbs apart and cleaned everything and reset the floats. Bike started and idled great and more reponsive on the lower 1/4 throttle. BUT...

After many more attempts at cleaning the jets and floats and needles/seats, checking for vacuum leaks, fuel delivery ie; petcock, vacuum lock at the tank cap, lines etc. and after various float level settings, the engine still stalls out at just over 1/3 throttle.

Slides and diaphragm are clean and free sliding with good vacuum. Jets seem to be clean and floats are set. This thing has me baffled. New plugs as well.

Wondering now if I'm barking up the wrong tree and if I should be checking for coil output. Got plenty of spark at the plugs and the battery is fully charged.

As a note, nothing has been replaced except the plugs. Float needles and seat are the same as are the jets and o-rings. The bike was running and then shut off to a no start/flooded condition.

Any idea's appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 06:05 AM

Did you get fuel just before this started? Can there be crude in the tank?
Sure sounds like a fuel starve problem.

2008 statoliner midnight
lindby multibar black engine guard
passenger floorboards
luggage rack
black handlebar risers
vance and hinds 2 to 1 exhaust
throttle lock
cell phone mount
scala rider
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvtongdvl View Post
Did you get fuel just before this started? Can there be crude in the tank?
Sure sounds like a fuel starve problem.
The tank was filled shortly before this happened however, I have checked the fuel in the tank and the lines and filter. I have bypassed the filter entirely and checked fuel delivery. Am still wondering about float needles and seats. They seem clear and work when I blow air through a hose into the float bowl. They open and close as intended.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 11:46 AM
Banned

Well, besides fuel it'll need air. How's the air filter(s)?

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Filter is clean. Won't rev with air cleaner on or with everything removed (airbox etc). No difference.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 12:13 PM
Banned

So, then no difference can be made using the choke?

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

No real difference using the choke. You can hear the choke working but the engine stalls out just the same. I think either float needles and seat or accelerator pump o-ring or needle and main jet. I hate throwing money at it hoping I get it right.

The bike has had 7 owners previously so not sure what they all did to it. It has Cobra pipes and stock jets so should run/did run nicely for a month or two after purchase.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 12:27 PM
Banned

Maybe there is a v-star 1100 owner on here that can give you the exact float height. I don't own the 1100 so I'm not sure how touchy the float is. While waiting for the info (if you don't already have it), you could always run a tank of sea-foam treated gas thru IF you can get it to run again.

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

I have run combustion chamber cleaner through the carb while running to no avail. Have also adjusted floats to 11mm (factory), 14mm and 17 mm with no difference. That's what leads me to believe the float needle/seat or accelerator pumps are shot.

Was hoping someone had a similar problem to this to help pinpoint solution.

I hate giving up on these kinds of problems but hate even more going to a shop for help.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 08:38 PM

Garage
Did you notice the colour of the exhaust? Was it coming out black just before it quit? This would indicate a rich condition or in your case a flooding condition. Comes back to what your thinking about; either float needle/seat or accel pump maybe even a broken float assy. Have you checked the plugs after the stall? Are they wet? If you open the carbs again; check the float assy's for fuel in them.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode