5th gear issue/650s - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
5th gear issue/650s

it looks like the problem isn't that the 5th gears weren't heat treated properly, the problem occurred when second gear was pressed up to 5th gear. it's very critical that 2nd gear is pressed to specific location on the shaft, if it's not perfect 5th gear wont spin correctly. i believe when they pressed 2nd gear at the factory it jumped past where it was supposed to be set and as a result 5th gear gets damaged, this must have happened a lot because there's a lot posts about 650s with noise in 5th gear only, i guess they didn't want to take the time to reverse press it and repress it correctly. there only .2mm margin of error when pressing 2nd gear

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
8 hrs in and got the cases split and both transmission shafts removed, what i thought happened is now confirmed. during the factory pressing operation 2nd gear gear jumped and went to far onto the shaft which is why the main 5th gear doesn't mate correctly to the counter shaft 5th gear, the overall gear set length is supposed to be 103 mm to 103.2 mm for the main shaft. on my main shaft it was reading 102.5 mm for the gear set length because second second gear slid to far when they pressed it , i bought two brand new 5th gears counter and main, i'll be doing the pressing operation tomorrow if all go's well i should be riding sometime on friday, i have to get a good camera that shows fine details what resolution should i get for a reasonable price, so i can post some good pics on this forum. wait till i show you the damage on the gears you won't believe how bad they got

Last edited by pauli466; 07-20-2016 at 09:23 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 06:38 AM

For the Dummie, What do you mean when you say "Pressing"? Is it putting the gear on the shaft? Did the factory put it too far or not far enough?

My dad used to work in a tractor factory and they would freeze a drive shaft and then put a heated gear on the shaft and then let the combination reach a common temperature. It was very permanent bond. Just curious. Thanks Augie

I'm always working very diligently to discover the obvious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by commonground View Post
For the Dummie, What do you mean when you say "Pressing"? Is it putting the gear on the shaft? Did the factory put it too far or not far enough?

My dad used to work in a tractor factory and they would freeze a drive shaft and then put a heated gear on the shaft and then let the combination reach a common temperature. It was very permanent bond. Just curious. Thanks Augie
the factory pressed it to far, either because it jumped ( sometimes when pressing something it doesn't slide smoothly down the shaft it will jump in small increments ) or when they measured the overall gear set length, they measured at the hub of second gear which is thicker than the gear face. either way it went to far onto the shaft. the quote from manual states " when pressing 2nd gear if it go's too far you will need to press it back and retry until the gear set length is 103 mm to 103.2 mm if there is insufficient clearance between 2nd and fifth gear 5th gear will not rotate correctly " end quote

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 05:10 AM

Thank you, I understand.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
1999 Yamaha XVS650 XVS 650 V Star Transmission Gears for Parts Only | eBay here's one that looks like mine. the factory not only pressed second gear too far they also installed it backwards. the notches on the top of teeth on second gear are supposed to be out away from 5th gear, you can see in the picture the notches are towards 5th gear, i can't believe the yamaha tecs could this and do it often too

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 05:38 AM

Thanks Pauli, It makes you wonder about the QA at the factory.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode