Rad fan / cooling - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Rad fan / cooling

I don't think I have a problem here, but I would like to know how this works.

08 vstar liquid cooled. Doesn't appear to be running hot - temp light never comes on. But the rad fan never seems to turn on. I've left it idling in extreme heat. Lots of heat coming from it, but how hot exactly does it need to get to activate the fan?

Thanks for any input!
Ian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 06:27 PM
Elk

I don't know, but once mine is up to (roughly) normal temp my fan will kick on at pretty much every stop on a hot day.
I hope someone has an answer, I'd like to know too.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 07:00 AM

I have the same thing on my 1300. But here in GA we have been in triple digits and when I came back from a ride I heard something funny. Engine was running so turned it off at the kill switch not the key and I'll be the fan was turning away for about three minutes then cut off. Only times I have seen it run. I thought it might be btoke but now know different. I am sure the ambient temps outside and engine heat play a part in whether it comes on or not.

Bill

2009 V-Star 1300 Tourer (First bike in 35 Years and only 1737 Miles when I bought it.)
Cobra Slip-On
Windshield ground down 4 inches
CompTIA A+ Certified
KC3DEZ - FCC Extra Class License
Currently working on my CompTIASecurity+ Certification
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 07:24 PM

I used to have a KLR650, and later a 250 Ninja. I don't ever remember hearing the radiator fan run while I was riding or stopped at a light, but then I do wear earplugs while riding. When I parked the bikes in my garage it was pretty usual to hear the fans for a couple or three minutes after shutdown, even with the ignition switch turned OFF. I do not use the kill switch, other than to test it very infrequently. Every so often I will hear the gas tank vent as heat rises off the hot engine, too.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Update: Finally caught the fan spinning yesterday. It was warm (close to 90F) and I let it idle a bit after a ride. Fan started up about 15 seconds after I pulled in.

I learned that there's some sort of mechanical temperature sensor in the rad (or connected housing). Like a thermometer, once it reaches a certain temp the fluid expands enough and closes a circuit activating the fan. I'm sure there is some factory-set value at which the switch turns on, but it's a blind guess without a temp gauge.

Always good to go thru these exercises - one day it might be useful!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 07:47 AM

Garage
Keep in mind the 1300 is also a air-cooled bike too. So the radiator fan really was designed more for that stop and go heavy traffic in hot weather. I have never seen mine come on in the wild, just verified it during diagnostic checks. The Ivan's ECU flash also sets the temp the fan comes on at at a lower temp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in