another nightmare - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
another nightmare

when i pulled the flywheel on my 650 it was wicked tight it came off with good bang it didn't just slide nicely, now when i tried put it back there is no way to press it on, if i try to push it on with the flywheel bolt the bolt doesn't have the strength to do it, it feels like it wants to break off in the crankshaft, the only way i can do it is to remove the engine and set the whole engine in a press, to get the flywheel on, i can't see how a flywheel can be installed on a 650 with the engine in frame

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
when changing a starter clutch how is the flywheel installed without breaking the bolt that hold the flywheel on the crankshaft? what i just reread in manual about installing the flywheel is ridiculous, says to gently push the flywheel on then torque the bolt to spec, how do you gently push something on that's a press fit

Last edited by pauli466; 07-23-2016 at 08:58 PM.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 05:16 AM

you have a 650, i've never heard of a starter clutch going out on one.the wkb instructions are for the 1100 i would ask at the delphi 650 forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 06:31 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick57 View Post
you have a 650, i've never heard of a starter clutch going out on one.the wkb instructions are for the 1100 i would ask at the delphi 650 forum.
believe me i looked at every video i could find even the 1100 video never shows the actual removal and installation of the flywheel every thing else but that, and the 1100 uses a large thick nut not a skinny bolt to push the flywheel on, i was thinking of heating the flywheel in an oven and freezing the shaft to get it to go. i feel sorry for anyone needing to remove the flywheel on 650 for any reason. they would be advised to do it when the engine is out so a press can be used

Last edited by pauli466; 07-24-2016 at 06:43 AM.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 11:01 AM

This may or may not work but I use it on pulley wheels for a large printers which is belt driven. I used a piece of emery cloth to smooth out any burrs both on the shaft and the inside of the pulley. Not sure if it would help here but worth a shot. Also if the shaft and inside of the flywheel are bone dry then its metal against metal and will be harder in my opinion. As with the industrial printer I used a lite mineral oil on the shaft. Maybe something like a little motor oil out there would do the same. Just an idea.

Bill

2009 V-Star 1300 Tourer (First bike in 35 Years and only 1737 Miles when I bought it.)
Cobra Slip-On
Windshield ground down 4 inches
CompTIA A+ Certified
KC3DEZ - FCC Extra Class License
Currently working on my CompTIASecurity+ Certification
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 11:53 AM

No way fly wheel should have to be pressed on. Just must be some corrosion or something like Merc said, a burr or nick. And you might try freezing both the shaft and the flywheel to get them to mate up. Heating the flywheel will only make the hole smaller. Freezing it will shrink the hole, as well as the shaft. Good luck.

Sonysnek
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick57 View Post
i did emery the flywheel bore it started to press a little further than before. using the flywheel bolt the bolt started getting a bit to hard to turn again. i don't want to risk that bolt snapping off, tomorrow i'm going to spray the shaft with an air can inverted to freeze it and i'm going heat just the hub portion of the flywheel with a propane torch, i was thinking of putting the flywheel in the oven at 250 but then i changed my mind because i didn't think getting the magnets that hot was good idea, i'm afraid to use emery on the shaft because if i go to far i wouldn't want the assembly loosening when the engine gets hot

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 03:53 PM

Check the following as it should slide on with ease

1) check to make sure there is nothing under the cog to make it stick out more and create a tight fit
2) make sure the cog itself is not damaged, or the space for the cog on the flywheel is smooth an straight
3) check the shaft to make sure it didn't spread out when you used the puller to remove it, I have read its best to keep the nut on when removing the flywheel as it can split the shaft. It may have spread the end of the shaft

good luck
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 04:37 PM

i reread your first post.a tapered shaft is not a pressed fit.it only goes on so far.until it makes contact make sure its clean no burrs to interfear and torque the bolt.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnek View Post
No way fly wheel should have to be pressed on. Just must be some corrosion or something like Merc said, a burr or nick. And you might try freezing both the shaft and the flywheel to get them to mate up. Heating the flywheel will only make the hole smaller. Freezing it will shrink the hole, as well as the shaft. Good luck.
the 650 requires a 3 eared puller with 3 long bolts screwed into the 3 removed starter clutch bolts as per the manual, so yeah i would say it's definitely pressed on, also heat never shrinks metal it only expands metal, how can there be corrosion when whole assembly is bathed in engine oil, why would i want shrink the flywheel hole when it's too small to begin with

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode