2006 V-Star 1100 Classic starting issues. - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
FGS

Unhappy 2006 V-Star 1100 Classic starting issues.

Hello,

Car mechanic here still fixing my dad's bike. Replaced that broken solenoid. Went to start it but nothing other than the pump and solenoids noises which went away after a few seconds.

Chased the problem to a stuck open starter relay. Coil in it is good but not closing to start. Replaced it after $12 spent on a new one. Bike turned over solidly but no start at all. Then the battery says "I want none of it." One final crank then it bogs down with starter whirring loudly.

I don't smell gas out of the tail pipes. (PIPES as mufflers fell off long ago.) Just a faint smell of varnish.

I'll make a video of it attempting to start once the battery charger tops off the battery. Hopefully that helps to find out what's up with this bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 07:18 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FGS View Post
Hello,

Car mechanic here still fixing my dad's bike. Replaced that broken solenoid. Went to start it but nothing other than the pump and solenoids noises which went away after a few seconds.

Chased the problem to a stuck open starter relay. Coil in it is good but not closing to start. Replaced it after $12 spent on a new one. Bike turned over solidly but no start at all. Then the battery says "I want none of it." One final crank then it bogs down with starter whirring loudly.

I don't smell gas out of the tail pipes. (PIPES as mufflers fell off long ago.) Just a faint smell of varnish.

I'll make a video of it attempting to start once the battery charger tops off the battery. Hopefully that helps to find out what's up with this bike.
almost sounds like you just lost the starter clutch which 1100s are notorious for

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
FGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauli466 View Post
almost sounds like you just lost the starter clutch which 1100s are notorious for
Don't think so as it hadn't come back for my video. Could have been battery giving up. I left the battery charger overnight on it. Cranked over solidly. Did that a few times with wait periods so starter can cool down. Still no start until a code 16 started flashing. Twisting the throttle made that go away.

Cranked the bike WOT made white smoke puff out of the pipes. Denser puffs on the back cylinder than the front one. They didn't smell strongly of gas as I thought they would.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 04:58 PM

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1...r-must-do-list read the part where it says twisting the throttle on startup can wreck the starter clutch which costs about $700.00 to repair.Try turning the idle up a little. when starting press the button and hold until started. it won't hurt the starter do not stab the starter button.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
FGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick57 View Post
https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1...r-must-do-list read the part where it says twisting the throttle on startup can wreck the starter clutch which costs about $700.00 to repair.Try turning the idle up a little. when starting press the button and hold until started. it won't hurt the starter do not stab the starter button.
Thanks for the warning but kinda unnecessary as the thing won't start anyway. I'm gonna try turning the idle screw a bit and see where that takes me.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
FGS

Cool Update!

Got some life out of it. Pulled out of choke too soon so it stalled. Battery went low so it won't turn over easily as with a full charge. Gonna top it off overnight then try again tomorrow.

Though I noticed one weird oddball behavior out of it. Probably the compressed charge in one of the cylinders pushing back the crank. The bike seemed to keep cranking but I'm not pushing the start button, same thing with kill engine switch off. Could be the $12 starter relay sticking or something. Once we get it running we might try and buy a proper brand relay instead of this cheap one. The finish line is in sight folks!

Thanks to nick57 for the idle screw suggestion!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 03:47 PM

you should consider pods for the carbs. it will set the carbs for optimum performance.plus you will become knowledgeable about tuning... let it run on the choke for ten seconds then cut it down by a third.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
FGS

Cheap Starter Relay

Well, the bike started, but runs rough once dropped from choke with some serious backfiring issues. Without the mufflers on the pipes they're ungodly LOUD! Flames shooting out of them visibly with blue or orange colors.

Idle speed was too high so I went to drop it some. Burned my hand on some chrome pipe that runs under the idle screw. The engine hardly warmed up and that 3/8" pipe is hotter than Hell itself. That pipe hugged the top of the crankcase. I didn't check where it goes into as I was busy trying not to burn on it as I tried dropping the idle speed.

Idle speed was dropped to what it's supposed to be. Bike doesn't run smoothly. The backfiring is still there but less. Turned off for the night before someone called the cops on us. LOL!

Next morning around noon, I started the bike normally but won't last before it stalled. Kept on starting it for about 5 times before the starter relay gave up and stuck closed. Meaning the bike is cranking constantly without even the key in it. So I had to remove the wire off the battery with some sparks shooting out as I broke the connection.

So now we need a new relay and the carbs properly tuned so it runs smoothly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blue Backfire.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	61481   Click image for larger version

Name:	Orange Backfire.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	61489  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 08:30 AM

It sounds like the carbs need a lot more than tuning. The pilot jets are probably plugged and no telling what else.

These Mikuni's are some of the easiest carbs out there to work on......and if you can follow directions to the letter, just as easy to tune. HERE is a link that has everything you need to know. Set the carbs up EXACTLY for what it shows for a stock bike....and most importantly...make sure you synch them after you put them back on the bike.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode