Oil leak up top, Can you tell me what its from? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Fig

Oil leak up top, Can you tell me what its from?

Hey all, please take a look and let me know how concerned I should be here..

The bike is a new 2009 ( road liner ) It just rolled past 5k miles, oil was changed at 2k and I am getting set up to change it again soon.. The bike got a 3k ride its first few days on the road then allot of short runs no more than a couple hundred mile but mostly in town. I just finished a 1.5k run and before that it was clean and healthy..

I did not notice this right after the last long ride but on taking it out the other day I noticed the oil on top of the heat fins .

Sadly I have already left home and won't be back till the new year so lots of time for me to pace around and worry about it before I can get it to a shop..

So any way.. Ideas, or better yet, if you have seen the issue before, please let me know what you think I might be in for

Rear left

Rear right

2009 Roadliner Midnight
Cobra Speedster Longs

Last edited by Fig; 12-11-2012 at 08:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 11:32 PM
Banned

Looks like you have seepage between the cylinder head cover and the cylinder head of the rear cylinder, or maybe both cylinders (the 2nd picture might be the front but not sure). You can start off by simply tightening all the cover screws (there is a bunch of them, a dozen or more for each cover). Then clean off as much oil residue as you can and see if it comes back. It might take a few cleanings and long rides to be sure it is corrected. I have not removed any cylinder head covers on my Liner yet but I think you can get an Allen wrench on all of them screws after you lift off the gas tank and remove the air filter box.

Good luck, hope this does the trick.

Last edited by stratowart; 12-10-2012 at 11:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode