so many issues - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

so many issues

2002 yamaha v star 1100. Exhaust baffles are removed by previous owner. I assumed it was jetted or adjusted because plugs were a perfect brown.

So now for the bad.
Changed stock air box to ebay spike. Bike lost power but not enough to bother me. Took in on interstate for like 20 minutes (speed limit is 70) I couldn't get up to 70, bike was backfiring and screaming. Got off interstate and it was vibrating and backfiring. Now the front cylinder has a slight knock every 3 or 4 seconds while at idle, does like a triple tick tick tick. My back cyclinder isnt firing consistently. Front pipe is real hot. Back one is significantly cooler than front. I had backfire on deceleration cruise before spike filter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Also bike has no power above 50 mph. I try to give throttle. Lots of noise but the bike doesn't take off. I'll be switch it back to stock, but I'm just worried I ruined something.

And the bike since I got it had pinged if it drops slightly below 40 in 5th gear is this normal?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 03:42 PM

So what jetting changes did you do for the new intake?

If the answer in "none" that is your problem. You're most likely way too lean and hopefully you didn't damage the motor from the excess heat. NEVER EVER change the intake on a motorcycle without complete knowledge of EXACTLY what it will do to the AFR.

Follow the intake manufacturers recommendation for jetting....if there are none as I see with most cheap Chinese stuff.... follow the jetting for a Hypercharger. That'll possibly put you close...maybe, but no guarantees. Buying junk with no support sucks....

As for pinging at 40 in 5th gear...yeah, it'll ping....you're lugging the engine. I never even shift into 5th until I'm doing 60+.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff

Last edited by Sick Mick; 08-08-2016 at 03:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Mick View Post
So what jetting changes did you do for the new intake?

If the answer in "none" that is your problem. You're most likely way too lean and hopefully you didn't damage the motor from the excess heat. NEVER EVER change the intake on a motorcycle without complete knowledge of EXACTLY what it will do to the AFR.

Follow the intake manufacturers recommendation for jetting....if there are none as I see with most cheap Chinese stuff.... follow the jetting for a Hypercharger. That'll possibly put you close...maybe, but no guarantees. Buying junk with no support sucks....

As for pinging at 40 in 5th gear...yeah, it'll ping....you're lugging the engine. I never even shift into 5th until I'm doing 60+.
Yeah I didn't do anything. I was just trying to see if it could handle it and obviously it couldnt. I changed it back to the stock one today. Everything is back to normal. But my back header doesn't feel as hot as the front one.

I want to switch to vance and hines short shots. Will those come with everything to tell me what has to be done? I'm really knew to all this and I feel so lost. I'm a car mechanic. These bikes confuse me.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 04:32 PM

Garage
if just doing the exhaust opening the PMS screws a bit is usually all that's needed to regain lost torque

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode