tune up gone wrong - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

tune up gone wrong

In need of help my buddy went and replaced the gasket on the cover cylinder head side 2 which was leaking along with oil change, plugs fuel filter, and fuel petcock. when it was done I rode it home during the ride home everything seemed to work fine until I throttled down and the bike bogged down like it was not getting gas after letting off on the throttle it took awhile to even get it back up to speed and had to cruise home around 35 mph. started to trouble shoot I put the old fuel filter back on and it still did the same thing, checked the petcock and it was fine noticed when I was riding home if I put the clutch in and gave it half throttle it would rev up fine. I did read somewhere that if you overfilled the oil then it would blow by into the air filter could this cause it to bog down. I checked the sight glass and the sight glass was full up to the top completely filling the sight glass. the post I read also said to drain the oil and replace with new and fill up to the middle of the sight glass. could this cause my problem and second can I just drain some oil out instead of replacing the oil or did this cause the oil to be bad.

scottishere99, Retired Chief USN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 09:24 PM

If u can get the drain plug out and back in with out losing it all then yes you can just drain some. Other option is drain into a clean container then just use that to refill the bike back up to where it should be.

07 vstar 650 midnight custom
Ais disable, 4.5 inch risers, V&H cruzers, jetted with pods, viking saddlebags, Kuryakyn mini boards and memphis fats windshield, fuel solenoids deleted, star solo seat and 4 inch extensions. Boss audio sound system.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 09:28 PM
KCW

Garage
Get a handheld mirror and sit on the bike, reach down and look at the level in the mirror, then lean the bike a bit to the right and see if you can get the level off the top.

Not sure which bike you have, when its full its near the top, and if you put a bit more it can cover the window completely.

Dont lean the bike so much that you drop it (obviously.. be careful). But if you have it over as far as you feel comfortable and you still have the window full, then there is probably too much oil.

You can suck some out of the filler cap access, or take the drain plug out and hope to put it back in before it all spills out.

Draining it all out and putting some it back in, yes if your pan is clean and it does not run all over the frame of the bike as it comes out.

Having said all that Im not sure if the oil is the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 09:31 PM
KCW

Garage
also the air filter is not hard to take off and check, and if it is oil soaked the bike will be wonky.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 05:23 AM

Garage
You can not check the oil with the engine cold.It must be level, it must run till warm, kill engine and let set a few. Then it can be checked. And as long as it's between the mark's it's fine.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 01:40 AM

Garage
Have you checked your plugs?

Not sure the oil blow by for such a short trip would be your issue. I just rode 1000 miles give or take with too much oil in my bike learning the blow by lesson and yes the blow by got all over my air filter. However, the oil didn't seem to have much of an effect if at all and certainly not substantial in the way you are suggesting your bike is running. I do have a K&N filter though so perhaps that also helped my cause. Rinsing off my filter I feel like I only gained a little bit of power back and that made my bike feel like it felt during my spring clean rather than anything I lost due to blow by.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 07:15 PM

Garage
Was thinking about my response regarding checking your plugs. I would add that you may have dislodged the spark plug cap from the lead or loosened it such that it is loosing contact and perhaps only sometimes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode