Carb Cleaning Gone Wrong - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Carb Cleaning Gone Wrong

I recently came back from living in Japan for the past three years and I've been trying to get my bike back into tip top shape. That's when it all went wrong.

I have a 2008 V-Star 1100 Classic. I'm the original owner and have about 6000 miles on it. I bought it as new old stock in 2011, but got orders to Japan in 2012 (hence the low miles). The only mods I have are cobra slash cut slip on mufflers and a just added Barron's big air kit (more on that later).

I got back this summer and went to get it from my buddy who had been taking care of it for me. He has some health issues that kept him from riding it for probably the better part of seven months, so the carbs were gunked up. Bike would run, but dump fuel out the overflow when you turned the throttle and then eventually flodded. We took out the carbs and cleaned them up, but I also bought the big air kit. This way I could clean AND re-jet the bike while adding a better air intake at the same time. Good idea, right?

Well I had to wait on the air kit then I got underway for three weeks (Navy stuff), so my bike sat with the carbs out and nothing covering my intake ports to the cylinders. But I finally got back, rejected the carbs with the Barrons air kit needles and main jets (115 for front cylinder, 112.5 for rear) and 4 turns on the PMS screw. I reinstalled the carbs, put the air kit on, put about 2 ounces of seafoam in the tank with about a 1.5 gallons of gas, and cranked it up.

She started up at first, but then it started to leak some fuel out the overflow hose. Then I noticed what looked like really clean oil dripping on the ground out of the exhaust pipe and a little white smoke from oil dripping onto the bottom exhaust pipe. The oil was only coming from the exhaust connected to the rear cylinder. Then more fuel out the overflow hose until the bike flooded and cut out.

I'm hoping someone can let me know what I did wrong or what is the best next step. Someone told me it may be a stuck needle (which I'm really hoping for so I do think have to take the carbs all the way out again) and not to worry about the oil thing. But oil in exhaust seems like a bad thing. Sorry for the novel on here. Let me know if you need more info. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 05:44 PM

your pms screws should be 2 turns out if you get popping on decelleration you can turn them out an 8th at a time till the popping goes away.
with slipons an big air kit upping the mains one size is recommended. https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1...g/carb-jetting a big air kit still uses the stock airbox no no big increase. if you want a performance increase do pods it in the tuning section.
your floats are probably stuck, check the oil level for gas contamination probably ok.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick response Nick57. I didn't even think about possible gas contamination in the oil. I'll check that out tomorrow.

Great link with a ton of info. Thanks for that too. Is it common for these bikes to end up with stuck floats even after taking them apart and cleaning them? I'm mostly being lazy and didn't want to take it all apart again. Getting to the needles isn't a big deal since it's just the tank and air box. And I definitely want to find those long PMS screws so I can change the setting on them more easily. Just so I'm clear, more turns of the PMS screws = leaner mix? Thanks a bunch!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 09:43 PM

in is lean out is rich. the floats could be sticky from sitting. be careful you don't change the float level.in the link read the first chapter . must things to know about the vstar.proper starting.there are two places to get screws, pacific coast star and metric magic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode