DIY manometer, carb sync and vacuum leak - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
IM140.6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Tomball, TX
Posts: 120
Garage
DIY manometer, carb sync and vacuum leak

We picked up an 1100 Custom for my wife about 3 weeks ago. Sputtering, backfiring, popping, surging at cruising speed, etc.

We put fresh gas in, 5 oz Sea Foam and ran it to reserve. We repeated a 2nd time and it was still having issues. On our 3rd tank, we put about 4.5 oz of Berryman's B12. End result was still sputtering, popping, etc.

Before pulling the carbs out, I wanted to take it one step at a time. First on the list: sync carbs. I made my own manometer (pic attached), went to hook up the line to the front vacuum port and lo and behold, it was exposed (no cap). The previous owner put a Kuryakyn Pro-R Hypercharger on the bike and apparently they didn't connect the vacuum hose to the unit.

Long story short, carbs got sync'd, port got plugged, and the bike is running better than ever!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4888.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	64914  

Miguel
2009 Roadliner Midnight
IM140.6 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 06:18 PM
NGM
Lifetime Premium
 
NGM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: N Florida
Posts: 1,155
nice, congrats on a great bike!!!

No matter where you go there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
NGM is offline  
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 06:49 PM
Senior Member
 
pauli466's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,309
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM140.6 View Post
We picked up an 1100 Custom for my wife about 3 weeks ago. Sputtering, backfiring, popping, surging at cruising speed, etc.

We put fresh gas in, 5 oz Sea Foam and ran it to reserve. We repeated a 2nd time and it was still having issues. On our 3rd tank, we put about 4.5 oz of Berryman's B12. End result was still sputtering, popping, etc.

Before pulling the carbs out, I wanted to take it one step at a time. First on the list: sync carbs. I made my own manometer (pic attached), went to hook up the line to the front vacuum port and lo and behold, it was exposed (no cap). The previous owner put a Kuryakyn Pro-R Hypercharger on the bike and apparently they didn't connect the vacuum hose to the unit.

Long story short, carbs got sync'd, port got plugged, and the bike is running better than ever!
go's to show it don't take much of a leak to really mess thing up
pauli466 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 06:51 PM
KCW
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 5,222
Garage
I cant remember if it was you. Did you say a few days ago the bike was making a whistling noise?

Maybe it was another thread by someone else.

I took a 1970 VW beetle for a test ride many years ago. It ran just terrible. I only went a few blocks then back to the owners house.

With the engine still running I looked in the engine compartment. The motor was idling something awful.

The vacuum advance hose was off the distributor. I put it back on and like magic, the car ran perfectly.

The owner was watching and said "WHAT DID YOU JUST DO"?!

I showed him and asked if he still wanted to sell it?

....... well.................. NO!
KCW is online now  
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
IM140.6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Tomball, TX
Posts: 120
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauli466 View Post
go's to show it don't take much of a leak to really mess thing up
So true! I was about ready to take the bike to the shop. So glad I found this forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
I cant remember if it was you. Did you say a few days ago the bike was making a whistling noise?

Maybe it was another thread by someone else.

I took a 1970 VW beetle for a test ride many years ago. It ran just terrible. I only went a few blocks then back to the owners house.

With the engine still running I looked in the engine compartment. The motor was idling something awful.

The vacuum advance hose was off the distributor. I put it back on and like magic, the car ran perfectly.

The owner was watching and said "WHAT DID YOU JUST DO"?!

I showed him and asked if he still wanted to sell it?

....... well.................. NO!
Whistling? Must have been someone else. Funny story though. Should have just scratched your head and taken the car for pennies on the dollar. LOL

Miguel
2009 Roadliner Midnight
IM140.6 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome