I'm stumped! Multiple issues? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

I'm stumped! Multiple issues?

Alrighty...bear with me while I try to explain this here. Keep in mind that I am not very experienced with working on motorcycles...or anything with wheels really. I'd love to learn though. Anyway, here goes, thanks in advance to any help that comes my way!

2001 Vstar 1100 Custom. Bought a couple months back. There have been times where it seemed to act funny. Shutting off on it's own after riding when I put down the kickstand, sounded like it was starting kind of rough. But hey, what do I know, maybe this is how it's supposed to run. being new to motorcycles I don't have anything to compare it to. Just after a new set of shoes, the tip is shot off of the cheap exhaust when I accelerated from stoplight. Soooo I buy a new full exhaust, and install it. I read up and thought I'd try bumping through the re-jetting process (115 main in front, 112.5 in rear, 3 turns on PMS). All ended up going well (after initially installing the wrong size jets).

I decided to check the valve clearance and swap out a worn throttle cable while I was already in the bike. All seemed to go just fine. I made no adjustments to the valves. After putting everything back together, I tried to start the bike (Link to video of first attempt here - https://youtu.be/qsuTOFlih9k ) but no dice. Sounds like it's kicking back? It finally did start, (super high idle) and I noticed smoke coming from the outside of the V on the front cylinder. Someone has suggested that the issue there may just have been oil leaking onto the exhaust, which makes sense. Today I noticed some oil on the ground right under the front tappet cover and exhaust as well. I checked resistance on the TPS. Resistance between blue and black - 5.1kohm (within standard), but resistance between yellow and black was .929kohms. I adjusted the sensor to put it within standard, but it would not go below .91kohms...not sure why that is the case, but maybe it has something to do with the difficulty starting? I checked the battery (all good), but not the cold cranking amps, as I am worried that I could continue to destroy the starter clutch. Pulled both spark plugs as well. I don't have much experience reading plugs, but looks like the bike has been running rich. Hard to say what it will do now though because I just installed a new full exhaust and re-jetted. The front plug is dirty all the way up the threads, while the rear plug is dirty about 1/2 way up the threads. Not sure exactly what that could be telling me...Here's a link to pics of the plugs (https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0...sp=sharing). I'm guessing that there are multiple things going on here, but I'm at a loss. Sorry for the novel...if anyone could point me in the right direction I'd greatly appreciate it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

One thing I forgot to mention, when turning the crankshaft, I was following a written guide that says to turn clock-wise. The youtube video that I was supplementing the written guide with said turn counter-clockwise. I stuck with clock-wise...can turning it the wrong direction screw anything up?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 08:43 AM

Has it run since you messed with the carbs?

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 11:52 AM

check your throttle cable is not hanging up and sinc the carbs its in the kb
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 06:21 PM
KCW

Garage
Most motorcycles spin the engine in the same direction as the wheels. Vstar engines spin the other way (backwards).

this offsets some of the gyroscopic effect of the tires and makes the bike feel more nimble, but you do have to remember facing the motor from the gear shift side of the bike the motor spins clockwise.

Since you didnt spin it backwards you dont have to worry. If you set your valves that way or tried to set the timing chain marks turning the motor backwards it would be off, because of the slack in the timing chain that is taken up by the tensioner.

The bike will shut the engine off if you put the kickstand down in gear, and it wont start with the kickstand down in gear. Its a good practice in general when you get on a motorcycle put the kick stand up - always. Before you get off put the kick stand down - always. Then it will become instictive and you will never get on a bike (any bike) and ride off with the kick stand down, and you will never get off the bike and forget and let it fall over.

Usually when you change the jetting its good to change the spark plugs out. Then you can check them after a few hundred miles and see if they are fouled out or running lean. If you left the old plugs in then you cant correlate their condition to the changes you made.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
Most motorcycles spin the engine in the same direction as the wheels. Vstar engines spin the other way (backwards).

this offsets some of the gyroscopic effect of the tires and makes the bike feel more nimble, but you do have to remember facing the motor from the gear shift side of the bike the motor spins clockwise.

Since you didnt spin it backwards you dont have to worry. If you set your valves that way or tried to set the timing chain marks turning the motor backwards it would be off, because of the slack in the timing chain that is taken up by the tensioner.

The bike will shut the engine off if you put the kickstand down in gear, and it wont start with the kickstand down in gear. Its a good practice in general when you get on a motorcycle put the kick stand up - always. Before you get off put the kick stand down - always. Then it will become instictive and you will never get on a bike (any bike) and ride off with the kick stand down, and you will never get off the bike and forget and let it fall over.

Usually when you change the jetting its good to change the spark plugs out. Then you can check them after a few hundred miles and see if they are fouled out or running lean. If you left the old plugs in then you cant correlate their condition to the changes you made.
Thanks KCW, that may very well be the shutting off part. Being new to riding, I wouldn't be surprised if I did something like left it in gear and set it down. Plugs are changed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick57 View Post
check your throttle cable is not hanging up and sinc the carbs its in the kb
I think the piece that connects the throttle cables to the carbs is sticking some. I was able to turn it back today with my hand when it was hung up. I guess that spring could be going bad but I think it just needs to be lubed. Almost got to syncing the carbs today. Warmed it up to sync and noticed that there is a decent oil leak from the front cylinder dripping down one of the exhaust bolts. That and popping some at idle. I decided not to sync until I figure those two things out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Mick View Post
Has it run since you messed with the carbs?
It has SM, thanks for the reply. Being so new to bikes (and working on something other than a home), I think I may be blowing things out of proportion. Although, I'm ok with that over the opposite...

Thanks to everyone for the help. Learning a lot over here, it's pretty awesome to take care of these things rather than paying someone else to!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode