Have i just been mugged off - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 7Likes
  • 2 Post By windzup
  • 2 Post By YamaMassGirl
  • 2 Post By windzup
  • 2 Post By Sick Mick
  • 2 Post By windzup
  • 4 Post By Sick Mick

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Have i just been mugged off

Sooooo here I am sitting at home thinking ill book the bike in for a tune up took it in and the guy said ill give you a ring in a couple of days hmmm ok fair enough he must be busy five days later still waiting for the phone call finally this evening he phoned up all done can you come and get it. He handed me the invoice Yamaha XVS 1100 Balance Carbs adjust valve clearance (although its still ticks a bit) diagnosed dirty carbs cleaned it using ultrasonic tank fit carbs and re balanced final Total $260.00 Im actually from the Uk but that was the equivalent price now is it me or does that sound a bit pricey. Ohh and to top it off I had a full tank of gas but not now it leaked when it was taken off of bike and went all over work shop apparently I ruined some of his carpet as it leaked into the office was I suppose to apologise at this point at his incompetence. I may be totally wrong and please correct me if I am but I feel if I've been legally robbed. Anyway rant over I'm off to clean the bike because when I took it in it was gleaming now it looks as if its done a 1000 mile road trip and before you ask no I never normally moan but this has slightly pissed me off to put it politely.
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 08:38 PM

Garage
I don't know much about much, but I think I was to pay about the same for a valve adjustment on my 950. I was considering doing it myself, but I had money left on a service plan I bought 2 years ago. So, end of season, a few weeks left of riding, I decided to get it done. (Think the paperwork said they would have charged me $220, or so.)

All that being said, it sounds like you had a rough experience. Is he the only shop in town? Sounds to me like he was acting like he thought so.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Keep moving, learning, loving, and living.

Last edited by YamaMassGirl; 02-07-2017 at 08:34 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Hi Thanks for your reply ok so maybe it wasn't to bad a price but i washed the bike today and found a loose pipe jammed in the engine not attached to anything plus another tube dangling down from the carbs i think maybe its a breather pipe god knows wish i was more mechanically minded ied do these jobs myself. I never mind paying out as long as the job is done properly but I suppose its a lesson learnt. Out with the manual book from now on, time to get my hands dirty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 08:26 PM

LOL.... they should have charged you a lot more than $260. You got a deal....so I'd definitley not be complaining.

BTW..if the valves aren't making noise, you've got a problem. They get tighter (quieter) as they wear...to the point that they can bend.

Before complaining about loose pipes and hoses, you should do a little learning about your bike. Start HERE..... there are carb breather hoses on it that if you start messing with.....like connecting to something....will completely stop your bike from running. All of the info on your 1100 is in the link above. Read it all and learn. I've been at it for over 40 years and still learn more every day.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff

Last edited by Sick Mick; 02-07-2017 at 08:33 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Thank You Mick. It doesn't surprise me i got it wrong my wife refers to me as being clueless (well clueless twat but you get the picture) so on with the reading glasses and its time to get learning thanks again for the link it will come in handy.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 07:01 PM

Lots of great info in there......You'll enjoy the read!

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode