2005 V-Star 650 custom: Wont turn over wont push start! - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

2005 V-Star 650 custom: Wont turn over wont push start!

Hey everyone. I hate to join the forum with problems, but i'm out of ideas. I searched the forum but I haven't found anything that sounds like whats going on with my bike.

I recently bought my first bike. i have built and worked on cars my whole life but i am just now venturing into building my first bike.

Ok here we go. I have a 2005 650 custom with 23000 miles. I purchased the bike knowing it didn't run. The person i bought it from didn't know anything about bikes either and decided it easier to buy a new bike than fix this one. I am starting to think he was right.

I was told that the bike would not turn over. That was all the information i was given about the bike before purchase.

I have had the bike 3 days now with no real progress.

Electronic start:
I turn the key fuel relay clicks a few times, engine light goes out after a few seconds neutral light comes on. turn signal/driving lights come on (headlight stays off). turn the gas on pull choke, raise bike off stand, pull clutch, press starter button......... NOTHING. No clicks, no pops, no grinds, just nothing.

Trouble shooting process:
Remove starter (not to self buy a drain pan...... and kitty litter bike starters aren't like car starters). jump starter when off the bike starter spins, put back on bike.

test continuity on starter wire to solenoid: test good
test continuity on solenoid: test good, also jumped solenoid starter would not engage while on bike.
replace old battery with brand new Yamaha battery.
test kickstand switch: test good
test clutch switch: test good
test kill switch: continuity test good
test start button: continuity good, jumped: starter would not engage

Push start attempt:
I put the bike back together after chasing all the circuits i could think of. My wife helped me push the bike to the top of the big hill beside our house..(note to self check on wife laying in the ditch almost to the top of the hill).
turned the key on, gas on choke out, 2nd gear, clutch in coast to 10/11 mph, release clutch.... The back tire locks up and bike skids to a stop. The engine never attempted to turn over.
tried everything a second time in 1st gear with the same results.

side note/question
when the bike is in neutral it will coast/roll easily
when the bike is in gear with the clutch pulled in the bike feels heavy/hard to push.
when in gear and clutch is pulled on the hill the bike would not roll unless pushed
after a short push it will start rolling easier.
Is this normal with bikes?

I am completely out of ideas. I really want to fix this myself but I am at a loss. Is it time to take it to the shop?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 09:03 PM

Garage
A few more things to check:
1. Check battery negative cable. Know to corrode at frame connection causing weird electrical issues.
2. Might be new battery but check amp draw when trying to start bike. Should not drop more than about a volt.
3. Check starter relay.
4. Check all fuses.
You seem to be good with checking continuity so these should be easy to do. My first guess would be bad ground, it can be common. Follow the link in my signature, you will find lots of good info on the V*1100 but much is the same for the 650. If someone will give the link to the 650 wiki page it might help him as I don't have it. Good luck and repost results.
chedobean and chedobean like this.

Les B.
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 09:08 PM

Garage
Hey, I forgot to welcome you to the forum. Anyway, welcome. Post some pics of your ride, we like pictures.
ben2463 and ben2463 like this.

Les B.
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 07:04 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2463 View Post
Hey everyone. I hate to join the forum with problems, but i'm out of ideas. I searched the forum but I haven't found anything that sounds like whats going on with my bike.

I recently bought my first bike. i have built and worked on cars my whole life but i am just now venturing into building my first bike.

Ok here we go. I have a 2005 650 custom with 23000 miles. I purchased the bike knowing it didn't run. The person i bought it from didn't know anything about bikes either and decided it easier to buy a new bike than fix this one. I am starting to think he was right.

I was told that the bike would not turn over. That was all the information i was given about the bike before purchase.

I have had the bike 3 days now with no real progress.

Electronic start:
I turn the key fuel relay clicks a few times, engine light goes out after a few seconds neutral light comes on. turn signal/driving lights come on (headlight stays off). turn the gas on pull choke, raise bike off stand, pull clutch, press starter button......... NOTHING. No clicks, no pops, no grinds, just nothing.

Trouble shooting process:
Remove starter (not to self buy a drain pan...... and kitty litter bike starters aren't like car starters). jump starter when off the bike starter spins, put back on bike.

test continuity on starter wire to solenoid: test good
test continuity on solenoid: test good, also jumped solenoid starter would not engage while on bike.
replace old battery with brand new Yamaha battery.
test kickstand switch: test good
test clutch switch: test good
test kill switch: continuity test good
test start button: continuity good, jumped: starter would not engage

Push start attempt:
I put the bike back together after chasing all the circuits i could think of. My wife helped me push the bike to the top of the big hill beside our house..(note to self check on wife laying in the ditch almost to the top of the hill).
turned the key on, gas on choke out, 2nd gear, clutch in coast to 10/11 mph, release clutch.... The back tire locks up and bike skids to a stop. The engine never attempted to turn over.
tried everything a second time in 1st gear with the same results.

side note/question
when the bike is in neutral it will coast/roll easily
when the bike is in gear with the clutch pulled in the bike feels heavy/hard to push.
when in gear and clutch is pulled on the hill the bike would not roll unless pushed
after a short push it will start rolling easier.
Is this normal with bikes?

I am completely out of ideas. I really want to fix this myself but I am at a loss. Is it time to take it to the shop?
Thanks in advance for any help.

So when you push started it, the wheel locked up and the engine never moved or turned over? Sounds like a seized engine to me. All bikes with wet clutches when cold will have resistance in gear when pulling the clutch, it is the drag of the cold oil on the clutch. But no engine movement is the alarming issue here.

This right here (The person i bought it from didn't know anything about bikes either and decided it easier to buy a new bike than fix this one. I am starting to think he was right.)

Tells me maybe the owner knew the engine was seized, who knows. Pull the plugs and see if it will turn then you will know for sure.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 12:50 PM

Welcome Ben, from southwestern PA. Congrats on ye new ride. Sorry yer havin problems. Sounds like maybe starter relay may not be workin. Check connection from button to relay. Then check relay. As far as the engine not turning, Baron has a sound suggestion. Although maybe put bout teaspoon of oil in cylinders also since it hasn't run for awhile first. And since it hasn't run, the clutches are probly stuck from sitting so long. You shoulda tried 3rd or 4th gear to catch on hill. May have boken loose. You could also try rocking the bike back and forth while in gear, with clutch out, to break the clutches loose. Good luck in gettin her figured out.

Sonysnek
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Update of the day:
Thanks for the replies.

I checked the ground cable, starter relay, and did a voltage drop test on the starting system. There's less than .02 volts drop.
I pulled the plugs this evening and put some penetrating oil in the cylinders and rocked the bike in fifth gear for about 10 minutes while intermittently pressing the starter button. Still no change.

I'll rock it some more before I go to work in the morning.

The general consensus seems to all point to a seizure some where in the engine unfortunately.

On a plus note There's a local bike mechanic about 2 miles from me that has offered to diagnose it for me for $60. If i cant get it going by Friday I think i'll take him up on his offer.

Here's a pic of my new found headache.

I'll try to update when I know more tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	v star 650.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	67354  
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 06:02 PM

so after you put the new fully charged battery on you hit the starter button and the starter does nothing as in not spin.when you removed the starter and test jumped it it spun.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick57 View Post
so after you put the new fully charged battery on you hit the starter button and the starter does nothing as in not spin.when you removed the starter and test jumped it it spun.

Yes
The starter will spin when its not on the bike
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 06:34 PM

does it click?....if it does not even click i would check continuity between the start button and the starter. or relay. try starting a cold engine in neutral. the clutch plates could be stuck.

Last edited by nick57; 02-27-2017 at 06:38 PM.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick57 View Post
does it click?....if it does not even click i would check continuity between the start button and the starter. or relay. try starting a cold engine in neutral. the clutch plates could be stuck.
I've checked the continuity between the start button and the starter relay and did a voltage drop test I got a .02 volt drop at the starter when the start button was pushed.

I've tried neutral starting also there's no difference between starting in gear or neutral.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode