Another carb question - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Another carb question

Having carb/idle problems on my 2000 V-Star 1100. It was running fine yesterday and then I filled it up a couple miles from home. Went to ride to work this morning and it won't idle while stopped at a light or stop sign, it just dies. Also seems to run a little off, I've had it since January and seems like I've spent more time working on it than riding it. Got it back home before work and came home today after work and put octane booster in it thinking I got some bad gas. Then I find gas pouring out of a nipple in between the heads.

Do I need to rebuild the carbs or is there a trick? My neighbor says to give tiny squirting of carb cleaner in the intake while running. Will this possibly work or cause more problems?

I got about 40mpg on the tank right before I filled it up yesterday.

Last edited by Mystar1100; 03-27-2017 at 09:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 08:51 PM

Garage
It could be bad gas. It's happened to me a few times. Normally a good fuel cleaner will cure it. When it has happened to me it took some miles to run enough gas out so I could get enough new fuel in. If fuel filter has not been changed now would be a good time. As far as the fuel over flowing from carbs, a piece of trash could have lodge in the float needle. A tap on the carbs might dislodge it. The info to rebuild carbs are located in my signature link. If you are half way mechanical inclined it's easy. Just read ALL the directions. Another thing since the bike is new to you, look inside the gas tanks. See any rust? Post back if you do for suggestions. Good luck and keep us updated.

Les B.
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

My dad suggested running it out and tapping on it as well. I will have to try that tomorrow as well as check the fuel filter. I've looked in the tank, but not closely or with a light for any issues, I will have to try that as well.

Any thoughts on spraying carb cleaner directly into the intake after removing the air filter?

I'm getting really down because I had a problem with the lights that I fixed and now it is low on oil after I changed it and was super meticulous about its level about 500 miles ago. Now I'm freaking out that it's burning oil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 09:44 PM

Garage
The carb cleaner is not recommended on our bikes as there are some plastic pieces inside carb it could damage. When carbs are apart no issue to use on metal parts. Did you check your oil before or after you started it. The filterdoea not fill up until after you start it.

Les B.
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

I ran it before checking the oil level after I changed the oil. Is it supposed to be running while you check the oil?

Good to know about the carb cleaner, glad I asked before doing it. So the Yamaha carb dip & cleaner is safe on the plastic bits? Looks that way based on the first section of the carb cleaning section in your linked info. I will have to pick some up.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 05:17 AM

Garage
The engine should be off when you check oil. The reason I was asking as it might look full before you start engine but after starting engine oil gets in all the spaces and will look a little low. Make sure bike is level when checking oil.

Les B.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

I have a neighbor who was a motorcycle mechanic in his past life in CA so i asked him about it and he agreed the floats were probably stuck. I took the carbs off and took them over to his house and he showed me how to clean them out and he pulled the jets out and they were clogged real bad. Cleaned them out and put the carbs back on, gas still pouring out of the nipple in the back of the passenger side carb. He said probably needed new needle valves and seats. I ordered those, just waiting for them to show up. Hoping that fixes it because i need to ride and i need to R&R the clutch on my Civic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode