1999 vstar 1100 Floaters - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 7Likes
  • 4 Post By Skorpyo
  • 2 Post By nick57
  • 2 Post By KCW
  • 2 Post By Skorpyo
  • 2 Post By ragtopmg
  • 2 Post By Skorpyo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 06:55 AM Thread Starter

1999 vstar 1100 Floaters

So Im getting the usual floaters issue which seem to be common on Vstar. Bike was parked for a bit before I got it and believe me it will be used daily from now on. Most likely its some crud buildup from the ethanol in fuel causeing the floaters not to rise n drop properly. So in the mean time Ive figured out not to fill the tank all the way to prevent over flow and it works so far. Other expenses have caused me to try in find ways to "Make it work" for now (Bought new house 2 weeks ago) so funds are tied up at the moment. I caught myself adding 87 octane fuel so from now on Im going 93 plus a few miles from my home there is a Ethanol Free fuel station which I'll go to today to fill up my 5 galon lawn mower fuel tank.
Question is ... Can I use a fuel cleaner, additive to possible clean out gunk from carbs? I will get carbs cleaned n new floaters in time but I just need a for now kinda thing. Its what us real world people do to make thing work till then. Any advise will be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 10:03 AM

never heard of a float problem focused on a yamaha. sometimes floats stick and fuel comes out the vent. try berrymans b12 or seafoam in the gas.these engines are low compression and use 89 octane.if the valves knock you can increase octane. 93 burns slower so you will get a buildup of carbon.i think by burning slower it gives the piston a chance to get past tdc.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Researched the hell out of it online and it supposed to be a common problem with floaters sticking because either lack of use or the Ethanol in fuel builds up some kind of gunk or carbon buildup and it affects the floaters. Another major complaint I found was the location for the oil filter, I'll be buying a filter re-locator in the near future as well. Im really excited to have this Vstar, Its all new to me and finding out all I can about my new ride is pretty fun Ive also won 2 first place trophies from 2 events I attended
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 03:35 PM

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1...r-must-do-list lots of information on the 1100.best thing for the carbs is to take them apart and clean.
bullboy0852 and bullboy0852 like this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 07:22 PM
KCW

Garage
ditto what Nick posted. Tear down and clean is best, but in a pinch Seafoam is less than $10 at walmart (use one ounce per gallon)

and even if it does not fix your issue it will clean out the rest of the carb.

And you can save the last 4 ounces to winterize your fuel at the end of the season.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Urgh, tried to fire it up n she wouldnt. Thinking one of the carbs is clogged up as fuel is pouring everywhere. Sucks too as Ive only had the bike 1 month, Will take her in for full carb tear down n new flaoters. Checked oil and it smelled like fuel??????
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 01:28 PM

Probably have contaminates in the float valve area. Fuel doesn't shut off when the bowl is full. Some should into the cylinder and washes down the side into the oil.
1. Disassemble and thoroughly cleans all the jets, passages including under the pilot mix screw
2. Remove an replace the float needle and seat
3. Be sure the goats have no fuel in them (cracked)
4. Change the oil
5. Balance carbs
6. Enjoy the ride.
BTW, the wiki KB has all this in it

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Solved issue myself!!!! I bought a $9 bottle of STP Carb cleaner and poured half of it into a half full tank of my vstar. I didnt start the bike for 3-4 days, Seems the STP Carb Cleaner did it job and completely clean out everything. Bike starts on the spot with no fuel leaks at all. Ive been riding it for that past 2 days with no issues at all, Did do an oil change tho. Maybe this will help some out here facing the same issue I had. Leesburg Bike fest here I come!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode