Suspected bad engine - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By KCW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Suspected bad engine

I have a 2009 VStar 950 with 7,500 miles on it. This past winter I put a 8" Chubby handlebar and installed K & N air filter in my air box. The other day I took the bike out for a 40 mile trip and when I came back home, I noticed the right side of the front Jug had a spot that was white and had a noticable crack in it. It sarted at the 4th fin from the bottom of the Jug and went up to about the 8th fin. This is located on a round circular spot that is towards the front of the jug on the right side.

Questions: How do you post a picture? I have tried to post a picture but it says that my picture is too big.
What could cause that part of the Jug to get hot? I have read the Yamaha repair manual and owners manual and it does not answer my question of what went bad.
Do I have a trashed engine?

"Dance like this is the last dance "
2009 V Star 950 Tourer
Windshield; Clevver; V&H exhaust.; Highway bar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 07:26 PM
KCW

Garage
Ive owned a lot of air cooled VW and a few motorcycles.

Ive never heard of an air cooled engine developing a crack in the a jug.

Does the bike seem to run normally, and can you feel any air leaking out from the crack when its running?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 07:46 PM
KCW

Garage
If the photo is too big (some cell phones have 13MB cameras now) you will need to open the photo in a picture editor (photoshop).

Or you can preview the photo in windows explorer, and the click on email and send it to yourself in a smaller size. (kinda clunky but it works).

To put the photo in a message scroll down in the Quick Reply window and drag the photo file from a directory to where it says:

Drag and Drop File Upload

DRAG FILES HERE TO ATTACH!

its at the bottom of the reply window, if you dont scroll up you wont see it.
YamaMassGirl and YamaMassGirl like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 07:01 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I cannot feel any air coming out of the crack and it does not leak any oil. I have been thinking about undoing the last several things that I have done to the bike and see if that corrects it.
I appreciate the help KCW. I will try that to upload a picture.

2009 V Star 950 Tourer
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 07:47 AM
KCW

Garage
Did you make any changes to adjust the fuel when you put the new air filter on the bike?

A bike with fuel injection will adjust itself, but a bike with carbs requires you adjust the jets in the carbs when you change the air inlet or the exhaust.

The bike may be running lean, which would cause it to run hotter. But still a crack in the jug is new to me.

You might google this on the internet and see if anyone with any motorcycle has ever had this happen.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I did 3 things this winter to the bike. They are (1) installed a longer clutch cable (2) installed a plug into the 02 sensor plug to turn off the code light because of the Cobra fuel tuner that I am using and (3) installed a K & N air cleaner.
I have been thinking that the bike may be running lean but I have the fuel tuner set at 2.5, 7, 7. I am thinking about taking off the plug that I installed in the 02 socket and installing the stock air cleaner again to see if that helps.
I have talked to several other people about this and they have not heard of a cracked jug also. I am going to have to do more work on this little situation.
Also, I am going to try to post a picture of it latter today.

2009 V Star 950 Tourer
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 08:20 AM
KCW

Garage
The O2 sensor is the primary feed back for adjusting the amount of fuel the engine needs.

If the sensor is spoofed and/or bypassed, how would the fuel injection system know what its doing?

it would be like trying to drive with your eyes closed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode