Belt noise. - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
NGM
Lifetime Premium

Belt noise.

I know there are 50 jillion threads out there on drive belt noise. Well this is one more. 2 weeks after getting a new tire installed my belt started to chirp. I took it back knowing it was the belt. They worked at it over an hour before they got it to quiet down. When it would chirp it was only under Acceleration. The tech said he had to loosen up the belt some. I have found threads where people went a little more loose than specs for the noise so I had no problem with that.

Fast forward about 1200 miles later. I am on a long ride with the wife and I hear it again.. This time on accel and decel. Well fudge. I never bought the tension tool so I had to take it easy, get her back to the shop and park her. I let it sit for a day. I took her for a ride this morning so I could try a couple of the tricks I read about. No noise.. Grrrrr. So my thought is with her on the back it put more tension on the belt with the compression of the suspension. Any thoughts or advice on this?

I just ordered a belt tension tool I am going to check it myself.

ALSO can someone please tell me if the 950 belt is supposed to ride center or left side of the pulleys? I have not found a conclusive thread on this.

A ton of threads were people who could not get rid of the noise and just put wax on the outside edge of the belt.. I am not good with putting anything on my belt.

No matter where you go there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 07:07 AM

Garage
Here is the facts on the belt position on the V Stars. The belt will ride toward the outside edge (but not rubbing) of the rear pulley when moving forward when the tire is aligned properly The front drive pulley and rear drive pulley are not in the same plane. The rear drive pulley sits further inside the bike than the drive pulley does.

The 950 calls for 3mm-5mm of tension from the factory which is way too tight, and yes way too tight. This will eventually lead to rear drive pulley needle bearing failure. Also check that the front pulley nut is not loose, and the washer behind it. There have been cases of where the front drive pulley nut was not torqued to speck, but they are staked so they don't move, but the washer underneath does and this will cause the front drive pulley to wobble and eventually destroy the output shaft splines.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	V Star Belt.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	70761  
bevo1981, bevo1981, Elk and 1 others like this.

Last edited by baron58; 05-30-2017 at 07:10 AM.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
NGM
Lifetime Premium

I have a tool to check chain alignment on the other bike. How do I check belt alignment on this one?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 07:44 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGM View Post
I have a tool to check chain alignment on the other bike. How do I check belt alignment on this one?
You mean wheel alignment, proper wheel alignment adjusts the belt track and belt tension. Here are a couple of videos of a guy doing a raider, a little different, but same concept.

post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
NGM
Lifetime Premium

Okay, I measured belt deflection at 10lbs today and got 11.5mm while on the side stand. I need some belt experts to kick in their thoughts here. Do you think that is too tight? If it goes any tighter I know it will squeal. I found several threads on here talking about replacing belts fixing the issue. How hard is it to replace?

Last edited by NGM; 05-31-2017 at 11:35 AM.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
NGM
Lifetime Premium

Okay, I just went out there and looked at the alignment. It was off by about 1 to 1.5mm. I do not know if that is enough to cause noise, but I made it as perfect as my eyesight could. I went with the left side a tiny bit more loose rather than tighten up the right side. I won't be able to ride it for a couple of days to see if that fixed it. I will update.

post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 09:20 PM

Garage
11.5 mm is a little loose for the 950. 5mm to 7mm would be better. If the belt is too loose will skip and shear off the belt teeth. Squealing or whine is too tight, chirping is usually too loose.

The Yamaha specs for the 950 is 3mm to 5mm which is pretty tight, 5mm to7mm is a better tension to have and wheel alignment is important as well.
bevo1981 and bevo1981 like this.

Last edited by baron58; 06-01-2017 at 07:13 AM.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 11:06 PM
Super Moderator

yamaha dealerships/service shops have been notorious for tightening the 950 drive belts too tight; they probably used to all come from the factory too tight to begin with. 5mm-7mm seems to be the sweet spot for this model in belt tension. i only got about 30K miles on my first belt before i started hearing the squealing. turns out that particular belt was defective to the tune of being stretched out too much. crazy. could have been the effective of always being waaay over-tightened. my current belt has over 50k miles and i just started hearing the squealing again a week ago. i had my tires changed in the fall so i hadn't checked my belt tension since then, but the play was over 10mm. so i tightened it back up to 5mm and problem solved.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 06:06 AM Thread Starter
NGM
Lifetime Premium

I have the slack at 7 mm right now. I do not hear the squeal unless I 2 up and even then it takes over 30 miles of riding before it starts. Any thoughts?

post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 08:08 PM

Garage
Also check rear wheel alignment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode