Just another tie thread - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Just another tie thread

I just got my vstar 950 tourer and it needs a new tire. I'm curious what a lot of you are running or have run on your bikes with what kind of mileage you got from it. I know these threads pop up and wind up just like the oil threads but I'm hoping for some good information

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Motorcycle.com Free App

1983 v65 magna (project)
2009 Yamaha v star 950
Both bone stock for now

Last edited by braunicus; 01-29-2013 at 09:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 09:18 PM

Don't know for sure bout the 950, but I can say over the years I have run many brands and types, and NOTHING has come close to Metz for me. I am runnin a set right now that have well over 18K(not sure how much over, have to check) They still have a ton of meat left on them

With all tires(Metz too) depends on your riding style. I do not take off from a light like I am runnin ET to the next light, get it?

If this info helps at all, good. I run an 1100 Silverado right now, Metz 880 Marathon

Ride Safe, Live Long
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 04:10 AM

I just bought a 650 with a new Pirelli MT66 and I looks awesome, haven't ridden on it much yet. The front is shot so I looked up reviews on the front to match the the Pirelli on the rear and found glowing reviews for both front and back. My plan is to pickup a matching front come spring time (or when I see a good deal).

Dirt:
Holly - '93 Honda CR250

Street:
Vanessa - '04 650 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 05:00 AM

Just another tie thread

I put a pair of Kenda Kruisers on my last bike. Don't know if the come in the 950 sizes or not. I did some research and the name kept coming up with great reviews on mileage, wet/dry traction and great prices so decided to give them a try. I loved them. Traction was great and the price was right. Can't speak to the life of the tire because I traded the bike on my 950, but once I wear these shoes out I'll probably try another pair.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

4 wheels move the body....2 wheels move the soul
2012 V Star 950 Tourer
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator

i have Dunlop Elite 3's on my 950. had to replace my rear E3 a few months ago at 12K miles because it picked up a nail. if it hadn't, looks like i could have rode 20K miles on it judging by how little tread was getting worn. much better response and gripping over the stock Bridgestone tires.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo1981 View Post
i have Dunlop Elite 3's on my 950. had to replace my rear E3 a few months ago at 12K miles because it picked up a nail. if it hadn't, looks like i could have rode 20K miles on it judging by how little tread was getting worn. much better response and gripping over the stock Bridgestone tires.
+1 on the Dunlops. I had them on both of my Hondas and got great mileage one them. They gripped well and rode smooth. I've read in some motorcycle magazine reviews that the Bridgestones (that came with my 950) don't have as much grip in wet weather as others. Of course YMMV and you'll get LOTS of opinions here.

Jeff
BLUE BIKE CLUB
2012 V-Star 950T-Impact Blue

Kuryakyn ISO grips
Back-Off taillight modulator
OEM passing lights
OEM luggage rack
OEM engine guards, saddlebag guards and trim rails
Marlin Talon gauges
Show Chrome Headlight & Passing Light visors
Mustang 2 piece wide touring seat with backrest/studs
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braunicus View Post
I just got my vstar 950 tourer and it needs a new tire. I'm curious what a lot of you are running or have run on your bikes with what kind of mileage you got from it. I know these threads pop up and wind up just like the oil threads but I'm hoping for some good information

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Motorcycle.com Free App
I have the stock Bridgestone Exedra G722 on mine. Im on my second tire. I changed it at 14,500 and it still had some tread left. I am going to go with something wider next time, not sure which brand. I have heard it both ways with the Metz.

Mike
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 07:30 PM

Garage
I have recently put Bridgestone Exedra G851 (front) & G850 (rear) on. These are designed for the Vrod & Honda VTX. I can say they grip better than the stock Dunlops.

Liquid Silver 09 950T VStar w/ Cobra Speedster exhaust; Yamaha Big Bear crash bar; Yamaha passing lights; Kuryakyn throttle lock; Ultimate rider seat, rider backrest, & passenger seat; rear running lights; Wolo Bad Boy air horn; air box mod; K&N filter; oem rear rack; crash bar chaps; Road Ready rear bag; blue LED underglow lights; heated Avon air cushion grips; 3" raised passenger back rest; Cobra Fi2000R O2 fuel programmer; ebay batwing VStar 1300 fairing; rear LED bulbs
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrider View Post
I just bought a 650 with a new Pirelli MT66 and I looks awesome, haven't ridden on it much yet. The front is shot so I looked up reviews on the front to match the the Pirelli on the rear and found glowing reviews for both front and back. My plan is to pickup a matching front come spring time (or when I see a good deal).
I had the MT66 on my Suzuki c50 ... I LOVED them. Great tires, ignores grooves and cracks in the roads. Cant comment on the mileage because shortly after I ended up trading to the 1300 tourer.

I just replaced the 1300 Tourer tires front and rear, Pirelli doesnt make the size for this bike so I put on Exedra MAX BIAS (important to note these are the MAX BIASnot regular Exedras) Have over 3000 miles on them so far, so cant comment on wear except they still look new but the handling of these tires are god awesome, EXTREMELY responsive to rider input and still it ignores road imperfections like the Pirelli's did.

If I get good life out of these tires I am sold on them and will not try any others. They are that good.
No kidding, when I picked up my bike after having the Max's put on, I almost threw myself off the bike doing S shaped curves out of the parking lot, was a bit unsettling, they were so responsive it took about 100 miles to get used to them, good thing is, I can now lean my 1300 like I never could before, even two up.
The 1300 is a pretty heavy bike, and these tires are firm enough to prevent the squishyness that some tires have.

2014 Road King (current)
08 V Star 1300 Tourer
07 Suzuki C50 Boulevard

"debt is dumb, cash is king" ... http://www.usdebtclock.org/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode