v Start 1300 tire size vs speedo - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

v Start 1300 tire size vs speedo

I've noticed that my new 1300 has a speedometer that reads about 14% higher than the actual speed. I've got 2700 miles on the bike since new a few months ago and thinking about new tires for next spring.(I plan to ride another 3000-4000 more miles this year). Is there a better size tire for the bike than the oem that will also bring the speedo to a more accurate reading?

Next, what is the best brand/model tire available? I don't care about price, I care about quality of the ride, tread life and wear.

Last edited by Mfb2287; 07-20-2017 at 09:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 09:32 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfb2287 View Post
I've noticed that my new 1300 has a speedometer that reads about 14% higher than the actual speed. I've got 2700 miles on the bike since new a few months ago and thinking about new tires for next spring.(I plan to ride another 3000-4000 more miles this year). Is there a better size tire for the bike than the oem that will also bring the speedo to a more accurate reading?

Next, what is the best brand/model tire available? I don't care about price, I care about quality of the ride, tread life and wear.
Michelin Commander 2 are the highest rated in tests and many great testimonials on all websites.
You won't find a tire that will fit and correct the speedo error.
Perhaps a front pulley change.

Last edited by Dcfluid; 07-20-2017 at 09:34 AM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 02:56 PM

Garage
I second the Commander II recommendation. I ride an 1100. On third set of them. Over 20k miles on each set. The speedometer accuracy has been discussed before. I've documented error using a GPS enabled speedometer app on my phone. My bike reads at least 10% high. I just accept that it's off and don't worry about it. Reading a little high might even help me from not getting tickets.😊
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.

Les B.
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 11:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcfluid View Post
Michelin Commander 2 are the highest rated in tests and many great testimonials on all websites.
You won't find a tire that will fit and correct the speedo error.
Perhaps a front pulley change.
I changed my front pulley, added 2 teeth. Speedo was still 9% high. +1 on the Michelin Commander 2's, great tire!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 12:53 AM

Garage
I should mention the tire size I got was 180/65/16. 170/70/16 is not available in the Michelin.
But the diameter is almost identical, just a fraction bigger than stock.
But much wider, more than the size indicates. Looks awesome back there, but the handling is so much better than stock it's hard to believe.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcfluid View Post
I should mention the tire size I got was 180/65/16. 170/70/16 is not available in the Michelin.
and that you have a 950, and not a 1300 as the OP has.
when i stepped up to a larger tire from a 170 to a 180 on my 950, my speedo did become more accurate by a few percentage points. i run Dunlop Elite 3's. on my first set i got 30K miles on both the front and rear before deciding to replace them since i had begun slipping a tad in turns. the tread never wears down on them. they just harden over time. i'd say ideally they should be replaced at least every 2 yrs/20K miles for the set. if you only put on 4K miles a year, you probably don't need such a high mileage tire.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 05:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo1981 View Post
and that you have a 950, and not a 1300 as the OP has.
when i stepped up to a larger tire from a 170 to a 180 on my 950, my speedo did become more accurate by a few percentage points. i run Dunlop Elite 3's. on my first set i got 30K miles on both the front and rear before deciding to replace them since i had begun slipping a tad in turns. the tread never wears down on them. they just harden over time. i'd say ideally they should be replaced at least every 2 yrs/20K miles for the set. if you only put on 4K miles a year, you probably don't need such a high mileage tire.
I got the Michelin because I was only replacing the rear tire and was advised against mixing the radial Dunlop with bias ply front Dunlop. The commander 2 only came in 180/65/16 profile and its diameter is virtually identical to the 170/70/16 original tire.
What profile was the 180 Elite you put on your bike? I don't remember when I was shopping if a 70 profile was available, that would help speedo accuracy slightly.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Whine View Post
Why are people so intent on sending out false information? Of course you can correct a speedo error with a different tire size. People do it all the time. I've did it myself on a couple of bikes.
which bikes were they? as far as modern production bikes, i don't recall if i've seen anyone post on any forum that a different tire they installed completely corrected the accuracy of their speedo.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 09:19 PM

Garage
Different tire size will correct the speedo error but only a percentage of it so depending how much your speedo is out. Certainly won't correct a 14% error but it will be a smaller margin. Why not buy a SpeedoDRD or other speedo calibrator and just program it and plug it in? Problem solved.
bevo1981 and bevo1981 like this.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2017, 09:11 AM
KCW

Garage
This is a common problem on cars when you want a wider tire for better stability, or a narrower tire for better fuel economy

playing with the width and aspect ratio (the 2nd number on the tire) you can usually find one that is close...

but to change tire sizes to get a speedo to be accurate is nuts! Pick the tires for your bike that will give you the handling and final drive ratio you want, and then mentally calibrate your speedometer with a GPS. Put a sticky note on your handlebar if you need help remembering: 70MPH =65...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode