Tires for Strat - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Smile Tires for Strat

It's getting close to tire replacement time for my 2007 Stratoliner.
Hearing a lot about Metzeler though they don't seem to be factory favorites. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 08:41 PM

Tires for Strat

Oldbaldy,
I don't think Metzler makes a tire for the Stratoliner. If you find otherwise please let me know. I've used Metzlers for a number of years for my BMW K1200LT and really liked them.
Bob
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider Coach View Post
Oldbaldy,
I don't think Metzler makes a tire for the Stratoliner. If you find otherwise please let me know. I've used Metzlers for a number of years for my BMW K1200LT and really liked them.
Bob
Don"t know either, since I run a Silverado, But if they do Sugar Bear would say, give em a whirl, not to beat it to death since I have posted on tires before, but I am totally 100% sold on Metz. Been the best ever for me.

Ride Safe, Live Long
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Smile Tires for strat

Metz does have a line that will fit. Called Cobra if I'm not mistaken.Thanks guys for the input. Winter has slowed down the need to rush out and buy.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 01:58 PM

I have had a post looking too see if anyone is using the metzelr that they claim will fit the roadliner/stratoliner but its wider.. the stuff I found on it claimed stage one. haven't found anyone using it yet. check with metzelr and see if they stand behind it fitting.
good luck,
Paul
ps here is the tire size they say fits stage one 210/50 ZR 17 M/C TL ME 880
dennis kirk web site has them 4 sale not sure about any places cheaper..
metz site claims stage one no changes needed to get tire to fit.

Last edited by bowhunter4265; 01-26-2010 at 02:18 PM.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 04:16 PM

Sport bike tires

I have read of guys putting 210/60 ZR tires on Liners and some were not happy with the tire life. Tire is soft for the heavy bike. Stick to the road good but 4 k miles or less might be tire life from what I read.

I have also seen guys put a car tire on Liners. One example a General Altimax HP 215/60R17 was the tire. Tight fit, some talk of working on the fender. Would not be for me, wrong shape. But lots of miles. Guess I will just stick to the stock tire.

Check your clearance top and side if you change tire size.

Dave
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 07:18 PM

I know some folks do run car tires on their cycles, but I for one really question the wisdom. I read the following quote:" I think a tire designed for lateral loads should not be used in an angular load enviroment-period"That was written by Chris Sidah (author of)the tech q&a section of the mar 2010 edition of Rider magazine.(Chris' Corner)

Ride Safe, Live Long
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Bear 06 View Post
I know some folks do run car tires on their cycles, but I for one really question the wisdom. I read the following quote:" I think a tire designed for lateral loads should not be used in an angular load enviroment-period"That was written by Chris Sidah (author of)the tech q&a section of the mar 2010 edition of Rider magazine.(Chris' Corner)
I'm one of those guys that have gone to a car tire for the rear (215/60 r17 Conti). The handling is a bit different. Requires a little more input to the handlebars. After 8,000 miles I've made the adjustment and the tire feels absolutely normal. On the front I use an Avon Cobra. I have about 12,000 on the Avon. It's got a few thousand more yet to go. I'll be replacing the front with another Avon Cobra. The rear will probably last in excess of 25,000.

Fat Strat
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbaldy View Post
It's getting close to tire replacement time for my 2007 Stratoliner.
Hearing a lot about Metzeler though they don't seem to be factory favorites. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

I noticed on Jpcycles today that there is a new Metz 880 size is 200/55R17. This is not the ZR that wears out so fast.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha-dog View Post
I noticed on Jpcycles today that there is a new Metz 880 size is 200/55R17. This is not the ZR that wears out so fast.
I've used Metz on my HD for years and have always had great mileage from them. I bought the Metz mentioned in above quote and I'm not a happy camper!! 4000 miles and it's worn out. (it was not the ZR tire but the best ME880 high mileage tire) I don't burn the tire or race the bike. I ride daily, rain or shine. I'm very surprised this tire wore out in half the mileage the OE Bridgestones did. (8K) I've also run the Dunlop D205 made for the heavy HD Cruisers. I got 7500 out of it. So far the Bridgestone has been best at the aforementioned 8000 miles. Still looking for a better tire. I'm thinking of trying the darkside or the newer Bridgestone MAX tire. Open to suggestions!!

MDSR

"ride to live"
'06 Stratoliner "S", '02 HD Heritage Softail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode