Tires! - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Tires!

I know this probably has been beaten to death, but I'm new to the cruiser scene.

I'm making an offer on a 2015 V Star 1300 Tourer. It will need tires soon. What do I buy? Radial or bias ply? Whats the best mileage tire?

I've had Sport Touring bike for the last umteen years. Figured I'd those in the know! I'm sure the answers will be all across the board, but I need a place to start...

Mutley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 12:03 PM

Garage
I have an 1100 Classic and I tried a set of Kenda Kruzers last summer. Got about 5500 miles on them and they're about half worn. I expect I'll need to replace them around the 8000 - 10,000 mile mark. Overall, I'm pleased with the performance. My only complaint (and it's minor) is that you get a little roar when cornering because of the tread design. Nothing that would stop me from buying them again though. Based on reviews I was hoping for a little more mileage but for the price I'm not complaining. Here in Canada, where prices are a little higher than in the US, I had both installed for under $450 (I brought in the rims). I'll probably replace them with another set unless I have some extra cash and want to try Michelins or Metzlers.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 07:15 PM
NGM
Lifetime Premium

I run a car tire on the back and run a back tire on the front on my Wing. I will do the same to the Raider when the tires wear out.

No matter where you go there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 08:36 PM

Garage
I'm on an 1100 and use Michelin II's. Got 22k on first set and have 15k on this set with plenty of tread left. No issues or concerns. I daily ride and they do good in dry or wet. No road noise. They don't follow the small cracks between lanes on concrete roads. I really like them. Check on line as prices do very from site to site, Dennis Kirk had best price on my last set.
Mutley and Mutley like this.

Les B.
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 10:59 PM
Super Moderator

radials are recommended. bias ply tires on a cruiser seem to be more beneficial on heavy cruisers that do a lot of long distant straightaway traveling. other than that, i'd think most people are going to recommend whichever tires they are currently using. i like my Dunlop Elite 3 tires because of the longevity they've afforded me. the tread never wears down on them. they only need to be replaced when the rubber hardens on them enough so they start to lose grip. i replaced my first set front and back after about 3yrs/30K miles, but they should probably be replaced at about the 2yr/20K mile mark.
KCW and KCW like this.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 02:24 PM

IMHO radial tires are the best option because their carcass is more compliant and flexible at the contact patch by design however not all bikes have rims that accommodate radials. I've had great results from bias ply Avon and Metzeler tires over the last 40 years in terms of longevity and ride characteristics in dry, wet and wintery conditions. I've heard awesome things about Dunlop Elite 3 tires but haven't tried them and probably never will since I'm down to just one bike and don't feel like experimenting again with tires on my primary ride. The last time I did that was with a set of Pirellis that where touted as being the latest and greatest but left me far from underwhelmed because they sucked for traction in cold weather and in wet weather even during the summer. Worse yet they messed with my head because they were such poor performers and I really thought that my 'kung-fu road skillz' were going down the tubes due to my age and less than efficient synapses. Tried and true Avons (Cobras) have slowly brought back my confidence.

Sorry for going off on a tangent but in general my suggestion is to go with the best middle of the road option you can afford with great reviews and be leery of suggestions of economy priced tires that look really cool or have a tread pattern copying models of more reputable brands.
KCW, KCW, Mutley and 1 others like this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGM View Post
... and run a back tire on the front on my Wing...
Please tell me you at least mount the rear tire in the correct direction to be used as a front tire (the opposite direction than for rear wheel use) if the so called 'rear' isn't a universal and truly is intended for rear use only.
KCW and KCW like this.

Last edited by Diogenes415; 01-08-2018 at 02:46 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 03:01 PM
KCW

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes415 View Post
Please tell me you at least mount the rear tire in the correct direction to be used as a front tire..
with a car tire on the back wheel, it really doesnt matter which way the front tire is mounted....

I could see dark-siding in Iowa there all the roads are straight and flat for 500 miles in all directions, but If I moved back to the mid-west I would sell my motorcycle and buy an airplane.

And BTW, a Ford Tractor tire on a motorcycle will last 100,000 miles O_o
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 03:06 PM
NGM
Lifetime Premium

i will tell you with the dbl dark on the wing I can drag the pegs just as well as I could with the MC tires on it. I can keep up with any equal power bike with an equal exp rider. I proved that to a guy on a ride a couple months ago. Dragging peg on a Wing at 80 MPH is an adrenaline rush for me.

No matter where you go there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
with a car tire on the back wheel, it really doesnt matter which way the front tire is mounted...
Mounting a 'rear only' tire on the front wheel of a motorcycle means you need to mount it 'backwards' because the tread pattern which is intended to channel water in rainy/wet conditions will only be effective if reversed because of the completely opposite directional functions of the rear and front wheels of a motorcycle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode