Tube type or tubeless - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By KCW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Tube type or tubeless

Hi, Folks,

I'm new to motorcycles but managed to put on 20,000 km (12,000 m) last season and now need new tires for my Yamaha VStar XVS65a classic.

The tires on there are Dunlop D404 130/90-16 front and Dunlop D404170/80-15 back - both are marked tube type.

All I can find on the 'net are the D404 tubeless and the dealers all say just to use a tube.

When I ask the 'net about doing this the standard reply is to reduce the speed rating by 1 category which really isn't al that important for the speeds on this bike.

I've emailed Dunlop but no reply - I'm wondering does Dunlop still make the D404 tube type?????

Any suggestions or am I over thinking this!!!!

Bill
2015 Yamaha V-Star XVS65A Classic
NOS purchased April, 2017
0.9 km on the odometer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 02:22 PM
KCW

Garage
You dont lose anything by putting a tube in a tubeless tire.

two things: normally the front tire lasts twice as long as the rear. Unless you are already on the 2nd rear tire since the front one has been replaced make sure you really need the front one.

The other OEM tires for the 650 are from Bridgestone. I have put Dunlop and Bridgestone tires on my 650. I got more miles out of the Bridgestone, plus they are heavier tires, which makes the bike feel more stable and responsive.

The reason a heavier tire is more stable is your wheels are acting like big gyroscopes - the more they weigh, the stronger the self-balancing effect. With the Bridgstone tires you can really feel when you push on the grips into a turn that the bike lays over responsively, because the procession is more proportional to the weight of the entire machine.

The other stability effect, with the Dunlop tires I could not take my hands off the grips for more that a few seconds - with the bridgestone tires I can ride hands free. The 650 is more sensitive to tire weight because the flywheel in the engine spins backwards on these bikes, the opposite direction of the wheels. This makes the bike feel more nimble, but also puts you in a situation where the gyroscopic effect of a light tire can be nearly cancelled out by the backwards spinning flywheel.
Dabluz and Dabluz like this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Here's an update from the email I sent to Dunlop asking about using tubes inside a tubeless tire mounted on a spoke type wheel such as on the Yamaha VStar 650 Classic

"There is no problem installing a tube inside a tubeless tire if the rim involved requires (i.e. spoked rims). Mostly all our current production street tires are a tubeless design which can be used in either scenario."End quote.

Now that's probably why I couldn't find a supplier of the Dunlop D404F tube type tire.

Bill
2015 Yamaha V-Star XVS65A Classic
NOS purchased April, 2017
0.9 km on the odometer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 07:00 PM

Garage
I have a shinko tire and it is tubeless. Been running it with a tube and no problems. All tubeless tires are okay to run with a tube in them. With the 650 and factory wheels you will have to put a tube in your tire because they rims are spoked.

Appalachian State Student Double Finance Major
2001 Vstar 650 custom
Custom paint
16" apes
Ride to live
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode