Shinko 230 Tour Master Tires - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Shinko 230 Tour Master Tires

Guys,

Anyone tried these? My wife's 650 needs new tires. Original Bridgestones are going to cost twice as much. While I understand all that "you get what you pay for" Shinko has a lot of positive reviews. I realize they are softer than Bridgestone and wear out faster, but my wife does not ride that much + I don't think Shinko will wear out 2 times faster. I'd like to know an actual user opinion (if there are any).

Thanks!

Wife: 2018 Sportster Forty Eight Special
Me: 2019 Road King Special
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 01:05 PM
KCW

Garage
Are you looking at prices from having a dealer buy and install them, or are you buying them yourself online: Bikebandit, revzilla.... ?

Just going from the OEM bridestone tires to the other OEM dulop tires, I noticed right away (100 yards down the road) the dunlop tires are lighter in weight, which makes the bike feel less stable.

the bridgestone tires have heavier rubber (thickness) which is better for both wear and stabilitly

I went back to the Bridgestone OEM tires. When my next back tire wears out Im thinking of Michelin commander 3 tires to get even better mileage. Im getting 15k miles back and 30k miles front from the bridgestone tires on my 650

other ways to save money:

dont replace the front just because the back is worn out - the front can last twice as long
if you pull the wheels off the bike and take them in, you save about $70 compared to having them pull them off the bike.
depending on who is doing the work, some shops will soak you if they buy the tires - others not so much.

If you want to get really hardcore you can change the tires yourself, but its a LOT of physical work if you dont have the bead breaking tire mounting machine.
nurtaeff and nurtaeff like this.

Last edited by KCW; 02-26-2018 at 01:12 PM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
Are you looking at prices from having a dealer buy and install them, or are you buying them yourself online: Bikebandit, revzilla.... ?

Just going from the OEM bridestone tires to the other OEM dulop tires, I noticed right away (100 yards down the road) the dunlop tires are lighter in weight, which makes the bike feel less stable.

the bridgestone tires have heavier rubber (thickness) which is better for both wear and stabilitly

I went back to the Bridgestone OEM tires. When my next back tire wears out Im thinking of Michelin commander 3 tires to get even better mileage. Im getting 15k miles back and 30k miles front from the bridgestone tires on my 650
Thanks KCW.

I'm planning to buy online and have a local shop to install and balance. My wife's 650 is 2005 with 11K on the odometer and front tire is dead, rear is close to death (both are Bridgestone). My wife rides it on weekends occasionally and not going to put any high miles on it quick so it makes sense to me to pay twice as less and still get a good quality tires (based on the reviews) that gonna last few seasons just because she does not ride that much. I would just like to hear some opinions from actual users of that particular brand/model tires.

P.S. I have a local shop that can install tires even if you don't buy from them and yes, it's cheaper to bring just the wheels and not a whole bike. I used to change tires myself in the past and while it is a labor intensive it's not a big deal, but for $20 I will let them do it.

Last edited by nurtaeff; 02-26-2018 at 01:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 02:04 PM
KCW

Garage
I know other people will read these treads in the future, and I kinda glossed over the stability thing.

When I got the bike it had bridgestone tires almost worn out. I could easily take my hands off the grips at 40mph, and I liked the way the bike felt overall, counter steering into curves gave you a solid feedback feel on the grips as you leaned the bike over.

I swapped out both original (10k on the odo) tires with Dunlops (listed in the users manual) to save money. I could immediately feel the bike felt more (whats the nice word) sporty? It turned easier and it felt... lighter.. more like riding a bicycle than a motorcycle. I realized I could no longer let go of the grips, the bike would immediately lean to one side or the other, and I could not keep it going straight just by shifting my weight. At first I thought it was because the old tires had kinda worn flat in the center and the new tires were round like a MC is suppose to be.

But later I figured out its the physical weight of the tire spinning like a gyroscope. They designed the engine on the V star bikes to spin the opposite direction from the wheels, which tends to cancel out the gyroscopic effect of the front wheel. Since the engine spins faster than the wheels, if you put a tire that is too light on the front, the engine will cancel the effect out completely and then some, making the effect backwards and making the bike unstable. That might be why I could not steer the bike hands free.

If you look at the bike tire shops online they might tell you the weight of the tires, so you can compare one to another. I dont remember seeing that. I would not dismiss this, because it really changed the whole feel of the bike. I really like the way the bike rides and feels with the heavier tires on it.

Maybe the Shinko tires are also heavy but only made of softer rubber, which would be ok.

Its something to look for. If the bike ends up feeling twitchy your wife may slowly grow to not like riding anymore.

Last edited by KCW; 02-26-2018 at 02:06 PM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 02:07 PM

Garage
Yes I've used the Shinko's! I really like them ,the're a good price ,handle well and last around 10,000 miles YMMV. The stock tires follow the grooves in the road ,not good, but the Shinko 230,s track very nice.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
I know other people will read these treads in the future, and I kinda glossed over the stability thing.

When I got the bike it had bridgestone tires almost worn out. I could easily take my hands off the grips at 40mph, and I liked the way the bike felt overall, counter steering into curves gave you a solid feedback feel on the grips as you leaned the bike over.

I swapped out both original (10k on the odo) tires with Dunlops (listed in the users manual) to save money. I could immediately feel the bike felt more (whats the nice word) sporty? It turned easier and it felt... lighter.. more like riding a bicycle than a motorcycle. I realized I could no longer let go of the grips, the bike would immediately lean to one side or the other, and I could not keep it going straight just by shifting my weight. At first I thought it was because the old tires had kinda worn flat in the center and the new tires were round like a MC is suppose to be.

But later I figured out its the physical weight of the tire spinning like a gyroscope. They designed the engine on the V star bikes to spin the opposite direction from the wheels, which tends to cancel out the gyroscopic effect of the front wheel. Since the engine spins faster than the wheels, if you put a tire that is too light on the front, the engine will cancel the effect out completely and then some, making the effect backwards and making the bike unstable. That might be why I could not steer the bike hands free.

If you look at the bike tire shops online they might tell you the weight of the tires, so you can compare one to another. I dont remember seeing that. I would not dismiss this, because it really changed the whole feel of the bike. I really like the way the bike rides and feels with the heavier tires on it.

Maybe the Shinko tires are also heavy but only made of softer rubber, which would be ok.

Its something to look for. If the bike ends up feeling twitchy your wife may slowly grow to not like riding anymore.
Thanks again KCW.

Just checked Dennis Kirk site:

Bridgestone G703 130/90-16 67S front tire - 15.50 lbs
Shinko 230 130/90-16 67V front tire - 14.15 lbs

Bridgestone G702 170/80-15 77S rear tire - 19.06 lbs
Shinko 230 170/80-15 83V - 20 lbs.

Just to compare:

Dunlop D404 130/90-16 67H - 12.12 lbs
Dunlop D404 170/80-15 83V - 18 lbs

So Shinko seems to be pretty close to Bridgestone in terms of tire weight.
KCW and KCW like this.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypupbob View Post
Yes I've used the Shinko's! I really like them ,the're a good price ,handle well and last around 10,000 miles YMMV. The stock tires follow the grooves in the road ,not good, but the Shinko 230,s track very nice.
Good to know, thanks man! I've read a lot of good reviews for Shinko online myself and kind of leaning towards to giving it a try.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 04:47 PM

I think that's what i have on mine. They ride ok for a cheaper end tire and seem to be wearing ok so far. They were my choice simply because i was able to match the front and rear tires which was a task since the front is a 19 inch.

07 vstar 650 midnight custom
Ais disable, 4.5 inch risers, V&H cruzers, jetted with pods, viking saddlebags, Kuryakyn mini boards and memphis fats windshield, fuel solenoids deleted, star solo seat and 4 inch extensions. Boss audio sound system.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 09:19 PM

Garage
try to stay away from a front tire that uses a thread that goes radially around the tire that thread is what make the front get twitchy especially on grooved pavement, i learned long ago cheap soft tires start cupping quickly and don't last, as far as i know michelin doesn't make a commander 3 and the pilot road 3 is a radial that shouldn't be used with a tube, with a spoke wheel your kinda stuck with using bias tires, the kenda 673 makes a good rear but the front won't last 5,000 miles, i'v noticed most highly rated tires won't have a radial thread down the middle.

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers

Last edited by pauli466; 02-26-2018 at 09:32 PM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 08:52 AM
KCW

Garage
ok, I got my companies mixed up. I know Michelin makes an expensive tire that many people like, and Dunlop as well. Maybe one is a radial tire, not sure if I want that.

Im going to put one more Bridgestone OEM on my back to match the one on the front that still has another 15k to go, then I will switch both to something else - in about 2 years.

EDIT: the tires I am considering are the Michelin Commander II, and the Dunlop Elite 3...

Dunlop has an Elite 4 tire now, so.... one better!

Last edited by KCW; 02-27-2018 at 01:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode