belt not centered on rear pulley. vstar 950. problem? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By lesblank
  • 2 Post By bevo1981
  • 2 Post By baron58

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
belt not centered on rear pulley. vstar 950. problem?

Is a correctly aligned rear wheel always going to have the belt nicely centered on the rear pulley or is the belt going to slide around side to side some?

During oil change today I noticed the belt on my vstar 950 was touching the outboard rail of the rear wheel pulley. Does not look at all worn. Haven't noticed any noises or problems. Centering it would require a 1/16" shift to the right. Not much spare room on that pulley. After a short ride, it's still in the same spot.

Hate to expose myself to comments, but you know how it is... my first belt driven bike and I'm clueless. My manual doesn't mention it and google has failed me this afternoon. I figure we have this forum, why not use it?

Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 06:58 PM

Garage
Here's a post about 950 belt. Read about half way down and bevo states belt should be on outer position on rear pulley. Hope this helps.

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...elt+adjustment
graybeard and graybeard like this.

Les B.
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 12:28 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesblank View Post
Here's a post about 950 belt. Read about half way down and bevo states belt should be on outer position on rear pulley.
i'm not sure if it should be tracking towards the outside of the pulley, but that's normal for all 950s. so maybe it is by design. my current belt has over 60K miles on it and no considerable wear along the edge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post

Hate to expose myself to comments, but you know how it is...
?? the forums are the place to ask questions.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 08:30 AM

Garage
Most all belt driven V Stars, the belt tracks to the outside of the wheel pulley. This is because the drive (front) pulley and wheel pulley are not centered on the same plane. If you take the front drive pulley cover off, you will find that the belt is dead center when it rides to the outside of the rear pulley.

So perfectly normal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	V Star Belt.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	79466  
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks, folks. I'm worry free again. Here's the money quote from Bevo that LesBlank directed me towards:

"make sure the belt is tracking towards the outside of the rear pulley. if you're still not sure, then i'd take it to a Yamaha service shop. when i took my bike in to a well respected and experienced independent mechanic, he ended up having to consult with both Yamaha HQ and the local Yamaha service shop to diagnose the issue."

Also Baron58 confirms:
"Most all belt driven V Stars, the belt tracks to the outside of the wheel pulley. This is because the drive (front) pulley and wheel pulley are not centered on the same plane. If you take the front drive pulley cover off, you will find that the belt is dead center when it rides to the outside of the rear pulley."

Thanks, everyone. I should have used the forum search facilities rather than google. Even if you find the right topic on a google search it will (99% of the time) be a HD oriented video or article. Now I know. Come here first.

Also, it just makes sense since there is so little room for side to side movement on the rear pulley anyway. It would be such a tiny range of movement to either side to be off dead center that it just doesn't seem rational to expect it to be centered. Confirmation is a wonderful thing.

Happy riding, y'all. I'm expecting clearance from the doc very soon to climb back on. The knee is ready. I'm ready. The weather is here.

Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode