Need new tirea - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Need new tirea

Does anyone have any experience with kendra brand tires? Or full bore? Need to replace both tires due to age. Rear is about 8yrs old and front I think is about 18yrs..front is stock Dunlop and rear is metzler 888...just looking for something so I can ride this year. Pair of kendra or full bore are about $170. Which is same as metzler rear...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 09:25 PM
KCW

Garage
Which bike do you have?

For the 650 the OEM tires listed in the manual are Dunlop 404s and Bridgestone Exedra's.

I have put both on my bike, the Bridgestone tires are noticeably heavier than the Dunlop 404s, which makes the bike much more stable, and the steering more responsive.

At least keep that in mind, use the Bridgestone OEM tires as the reference point. If the tires you are looking to buy are significantly lighter in weight, it will change how the bike feels and rides. Most websites that sell tires list the weight.

You can save money on tires by taking the wheels off the bike yourself, and taking them in to have the new tires put on the rims. If you have a shop take the wheels off the bike and put the wheels back on, that is about another $70 over the cost of mounting the tires on the wheels.

Motorcycle tires are expensive. If you buy the tires from a dealer and have them do all the work of changing them, then the cost of the tires is equal to the cost of gas you will use over the life of the tires.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 10:14 PM

Garage
Mettzler introduced the 888 in 2013 so it's probably only 5 years old at most. Check the date codes on the tires. Kenda has a good reputation and is a lower priced tire. I like Dunlops personally and the Michelin Commander II. I prefer to get a tire that has longer mileage and some stick to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 10:15 PM

Garage
Is that the Canadian plural for tires?

CVM CATAPVLTAE PROSCRIPTAE ERVNT TVM SOLI PROSCRIPTI CATAPVLTAS HABEBVNT
http://technocoma.blogspot.com
https://www.youtube.com/c/jordanrubin6502
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 04:48 AM

Garage
I have used the Kenda Kruz tires on the 650's I used to own. They wear out fast. I only got about 1 riding season on them, but here in the south, we start riding in late Feb/early Mar and have decent riding weather until the end of Nov. In terms of miles, I suppose 5000, but I can't remember exactly.

I don't have to have fast, I just have to have fun!
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 07:20 AM

Garage
I put a set of Kenda Kruz on my 1100 last summer. I've got about 5000 miles on them and they're about half worn out - well, maybe a little past half. I'll be replacing them at some point this summer for sure. I almost went with Michelin Commanders but I read good reviews about Kenda and for the difference in price I thought I'd give them a try. Not unhappy with them, although I was hoping for a little more wear. One thing that is a little annoying is the rumble sound when cornering due to the tread pattern on the rear tire. You don't feel it and I got used to it, but it's just one little nuance about these tires. I think I'll go with the Commanders next time.
fd757 likes this.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Matvey View Post
... Is the rear hard to do? Or just time consuming.
The toughest part about changing any tire is breaking the bead but there are shade-tree methods I've employed because the last thing I need is to buy a bead breaker that takes up quite a bit of space for how little use it gets. When pulling the bead over the edge of the tire two things are important: 1) to get the section of bead that is 180 opposite from the one you're pulling over the edge, into the center trough of the rim. 2) Have a good set of tire irons with smooth edges and use rim protectors (or sections of PEX tubing to snap over the edge of the rim).

KCW likes this.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 12:04 PM
KCW

Garage
I changed the front and rear tires on my 650 once ( a few years back).

Its a lot of physical work if you dont have the machine.

I used a large C clamp to break the bead loose. Since the tire is expended you dont care if you mess it up. Its fairly easy with the C clamp, you can crush both sides, and whichever one lets go first, once you have that side started the rest of it pushes right off. To get the other side loose, put a piece of 1/4" plywood on the tire on the side that has been already pushed in, with the edge of the plywood on the rim of the wheel, and the rest of the plywood on the sidewall of the tire, and screw the clamp in on the other side right by the edge of the rim.

The hardest part is getting the tire off and on the wheel, As Dio said you must push the tire on the bottom all the way into the center U of the rim, then pry off the other side. Without the tire mounting machine holding the wheel in place, the tire fights you for every inch.

The other thing that is surprisingly difficult, if you have tubes, is getting your hand between the tire and the rim to push the tube valve stem in the hole in the rim. The new tires are so stiff it really fights you, you cant just grab the sidewall with your fingers like a bicycle tire and bend it out of the way. There probably is a tool for that too, I dont know what it is.

I have decided its worth the $30 to have the shop do it, but its good to know I could do it myself if I had to.

Last edited by KCW; 05-16-2018 at 12:07 PM.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
... The other thing that is surprisingly difficult, if you have tubes, is getting your hand between the tire and the rim to push the tube valve stem in the hole in the rim...
Hahaha, I stand corrected... this truly is by far the worst!
KCW likes this.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 10:19 PM

Garage
Update on my tires (Kenda Kruz 671s). I put them on in late June of 2017 and started this season with about half the tread left (had about 5000 miles on them then). I've been keeping an eye on them and noticed they've been wearing down rather quickly in the past month. Last week the rear tire had what I hoped was enough tread to make to the end of the season (another 4 to 6 weeks). I was going to go for a ride today and checked the tires. The front one is down to the wear bars. The rear is bald in the center, and even has some canvas showing in one spot (I remember locking it up briefly when someone cut me off yesterday). Generally, I don't ride hard (well, I sometimes accelerate harder than necessary) but I do ride with a passenger occasionally so those 2 things may have hastened the demise of the back tire somewhat.

So, I paid just under $400 CAD installed on the rims (including 15% sales tax) and put just over 10,000 miles on them. For the price, I'm not complaining. If you're on a budget and looking for a tire that will give decent mileage and performs very well, Kenda is a good choice. I'm picking up another set tomorrow.
lesblank likes this.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode