Tire Inflation - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Tire Inflation

I've got new tread on the front and rear tires. The installer maxed out the psi when he inflated the tires. Front is max 36 psi - rear is max 41 psi. (Bike mfg settings - not tire mfg settings) I didn't like the way the bike handled when cornering so I set the pressure at 34 psi front - 39 psi rear and the tires seem to be gripping better - slightly more tread on the road I suppose. Where do others set tire psi?

For mad scientists who keep brains in jars, here’s a tip: why not add a slice of lemon to each jar, for freshness?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 03:42 PM

32 psi front and 36 psi rear... during the winter I'll drop the pressures by about 2 psi.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator

i assume you're asking in regards to bike specs vs. tire manufacturer specs? i set mine according to the tire's recommendation. i'd rather have a little more air in them. the bike specs tend to be lower.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Tire manufacturers don't know what you are riding. Tire pressure should always be set by the bike manufacturers guidelines. Same with cars. Never use the tire settings.
Baldilocks and fireteacher like this.

For mad scientists who keep brains in jars, here’s a tip: why not add a slice of lemon to each jar, for freshness?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 07:11 PM

Not so sure about that, Atleast avon tires ask what model, and year bike your riding and gives you recommendations based on that (or atleast seems to).
Thought I do agree the pressures are a bit high, atleast for my riding style, so mine are set about 2 psi higher than the bike says, but around 4psi lower than avon recommends.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 07:54 PM

The psi noted on the sidewall is the max working pressure the tire is rated for and is not a normal recommended operating cold pressure. If anything you should go by the manufacturers recommended pressures.

The higher the pressures you use in your tires the less the chance the tire will heat up enough to reach it's optimal temperature and provide adequate traction, not to mention the ride will most likely be harsher and your suspension had better be in tip top shape to maintain tire contact with the road when going over irregularities.
Baldilocks likes this.

Last edited by Diogenes415; 05-25-2018 at 07:59 PM.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 10:44 PM

I lowered the pressure a four lbs from what the book says. I'll never have the bike loaded to the max, single rider no gear. It made a difference in the ride. Might even go some more.

2009 V Star 1300, with 11,000 miles. Solo bike with a Med shield and Cobra slip on exhaust.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

Garage
https://youtu.be/z9sWD_SjrMg

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 09:02 AM

Be sure to use a quality tire pressure gauge and test it against gauges that are known to be accurate. The pencil type gauges are usually inaccurate, as much as 6 psi over/under... even the brand spanking new ones I've tested over the years.
Highwayman likes this.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
Tire manufacturers don't know what you are riding. Tire pressure should always be set by the bike manufacturers guidelines. Same with cars. Never use the tire settings.
true, but Yamaha doesn't know what tires you're putting on their bikes. different tires have different qualities and pressure recommendations.
this guy suggests what i did when i switched from the factory Dunlop tires to my current Dunlop Elite 3's - looked up my bike with their tire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickdk View Post
Atleast avon tires ask what model, and year bike your riding and gives you recommendations based on that (or atleast seems to).
Thought I do agree the pressures are a bit high, atleast for my riding style, so mine are set about 2 psi higher than the bike says, but around 4psi lower than avon recommends.
same here. my tire pressures are also just 2 psi higher than what the manual suggests.
and as for getting better performance from tires from different pressures, my bike always feels like it has better traction and handling when i have just filled up the tires versus any other time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes415 View Post
The higher the pressures you use in your tires the less the chance the tire will heat up enough to reach it's optimal temperature and provide adequate traction,
is this correct? pressure and heat are directly related. and the higher the pressure of the gas inside, the quicker the molecules are moving and thus the higher the temperature, isn't it? so doesn't the higher psi give the tire a better chance to warm up? does it even matter that much with a few psi in heating up the outside temperature of the thick rubber? wouldn't the energy of the tire making contact with the road heat it up more than the characteristics of the gas inside? drag vehicles spin out their tires before a race to heat them up to gain better traction. it's been a while since high school science classes and i'm too lazy to research this right now.

edit: i spent a few seconds to find this: Gay-Lussac's Law: The Pressure Temperature Law. This law states that the pressure of a given amount of gas held at constant volume is directly proportional to the Kelvin temperature. As the pressure goes up, the temperature also goes up, and vice-versa.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode