Tire size range 03 xvs650 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cyle.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Time to get new shoes!

What are the ranges for tires that will fit both the front rim and rear rim?

I would like to put the skinniest tire possible up front and the fattest possible in the rear...

Last edited by Cyle.; 05-26-2018 at 03:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 03:33 PM

I have a custom and the recommended tire sizes are 100/90-19 and 170/80-15.... I wouldn't go any thicker or thinner than one size either way or else you change the profile radius which will affect handling.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 08:09 PM
KCW

Garage
Something to be aware of on these bikes. On the 650 (and I think the 1100 and some other engines) the designers decided to make the bike steering feel more nimble and sporty, so they designed the engine to spin backwards. One of the primary things that makes a motorcycle self balancing, and gives it the feeling of stability, is the gyroscopic effect of the spinning wheels, tires, and the flywheel in the engine.

Since the flywheel in the engine is spinning in the opposite direction of the wheels, it cancels out the gyro effect of the front wheel to some degree. From my personal experience, my 650 custom came with Bridgestone tires. When it was time to replace them, the dealer had a 'deal' on Dunlop 404s (the other OEM tire for the bike).

I immediately felt the difference, and when I looked it up the Dunlop tires are significantly lighter than the Bridgestone OEM tires. On my next tire change I went back to the heavier Bridgestone tires.

The are a couple ways this affects the feel of the bike. For one thing, with the heavier tires I can easily take my hands off the grips. With the lighter Dunlop tires I cant, the bike will not hold a straight line. It also affects the countersteering response. With the heavier tires when you push the right grip the bike leans to the right and turns to the right with a very strong, responsive and precise precession force on the bike. With lighter tires the bike still steers correctly, but it feels more like a bicycle than a motorcycle, the steering is twitchy, loose, and does not have that solid feel.

If you goto bike part supply websites like BikeBandit or Revzilla, you can look up different tires for you bike, and it will tell you how much each tire weighs. Use the Bridgestone OEM (Exedra) tires as the reference weight.

Im not saying you should not put lighter or narrower tires on your bike if you want to, but be aware of the effect it will have on how the bike rides, and how stable or twitchy it will feel.

BTW, most other MC engines spin the same way as the front wheel. The backwards spinning motors are unique to vStar bikes.

Last edited by KCW; 05-25-2018 at 08:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Interesting. I read this on one of the other posts on the forum, but it's surprising it makes such a big difference in handling. I do love the way it handles now, and I too am able to drive a straight line without my hands on the bars. So, i guess ill stick with the stock sizes and try and keep tge weight the same.

Hell, i guess heavier tires should last longer anyways.
KCW likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 07:27 AM

People who ride my 650 Custom are surprised by how well it handles despite it being a cruiser with a long wheelbase and limited cornering clearance. I attribute that to all aspects that make up the bike... choice in wheel sizes, steering geometry and engine design by the manufacturer and that I chose Avon Cobra tires, set the suspension to perform according to my experiences, not what the manual states and ride it naked without a bunch of accessories that adversely affect it's handling. BTW, there's a reason why the reverse rotating crank design has been used in race/sport oriented bikes for decades and is used in Ducati's race inspired street going Pinagale V4. Whether or not the crank rotation really benefits a bike like the Vstar 650 is debatable but I'll use it as yet another reason why I firmly believe that I get the best out of it when I treat the motor more like that of an SV650 rather than a RoadStar.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

What do you guys think of the dunlop D404s?

Ive got Michelin Commander I's right now and im very happy with the handling. but there is some cracking between the treads...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 05:22 PM

Garage
My last two sets of tires on my 1100 have been the commanders. Love the ride, handling and mileage, over 20k. But that's on an1100. Maybe someone Here has used them on a 650 and can provide feedback.

Les B.
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in