Brake Pad Replacement - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Brake Pad Replacement

I need to replace the front and rear brake pads on my Yamaha Raider. The videos I watched on the process make it look really simple but I have mechanical "limitations". I'm missing the "even a child can do this" gene. At any rate, while researching the types of pads available I realized I need some help in choosing. Also if I bring the bike in to have them done, what seems like a reasonable price?

Sintered brake pads appear to be a common choice but they give a lot of wear and tear to your rotors, and "if your bike isn’t made to be used with sintered pads, you should 100% not use them".
Organic brake pads are softer than sintered brake pads which make them create more brake dust and not last as long. They offer little wear and tear on your rotors and provide smooth and controlled braking.
Kevlar organic brake pads mix Kevlar into the combination of glass and rubber to create a superior, durable brake pad with impressive performance. Kevlar also increases the life span of the pads and improves braking power.
Carbon organic pads offers the benefits of lower heat generation. They don’t last as long as other brake pads, but are preferred in situations when your brake rotors get really hot.
Semi-Metallic brake pads are pads made with a small percentage of metallic elements and provide better braking and heat transfer. They also produced more dust and noise.
Semi-sintered brake pads are the best of both worlds. They provide a combination of longer life span with a modern feel and do not wear out your rotors.
Then there are EBC Double-H Superbike Pads™ Made from sintered copper alloy, these brake pads benefit from the highest friction HH rating for maximum stopping power. EBC Double-H Superbike pads™ are perfect braking under all riding conditions, be it wet, dry, hot or cold. Unique stainless steel radiator plates are fitted when required to reduce heat transfer into the hydraulics of the motorbike. The double segment vented design is totally unique and keeps the pads cooler and prevents pad drag and overheat or fade.

For mad scientists who keep brains in jars, here’s a tip: why not add a slice of lemon to each jar, for freshness?

Last edited by Highwayman; 05-27-2018 at 12:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 12:35 PM

Garage
I started a long and wordy reply, then stumbled on an older post that may help both of us....little information and less typing for me haha.

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...tml#post434698

Hopefully the link will work. Otherwise it was posted back in 2014 by Sportsmanphil with the title Brake Pads. If it leaves more questions, just let us know so we can get out in the rough with you haha.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I did read that. I'm thinking I may just go with the OEM pads. I believe they are Semi-Sintered.

For mad scientists who keep brains in jars, here’s a tip: why not add a slice of lemon to each jar, for freshness?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 03:03 PM

Obviously, Highwayman, you've researched this more than I. As such I've usually just gone with organic... "no pesticide, farm to table", what a wonderfully PC credo, no?... but in all seriousness I've found that what matters most is that you keep your pads and rotors clean (I use acetone for cleaning (not nail polish remover which has additives)... some aerosol brake-specific cleaners leave a residue) and change out your fluid often (any discoloration of the fluid is a good indicator if you don't do it once a year). Most of my experience has been with EBC and Ferodo brake pads (Vesrah shoes) and they have performed extremely well offering one or two finger stopping power even on the track. IMO new technologies and compounds are a good thing but for street riding the most important factor is brake maintenance rather than pad compound choice... unless a specific type is suggested by the motorcycle manufacturer. I was excited to find a set of Ferodo pads for my XVS650 because I entrusted everything I had to my brakes on the track and they've never let me down... otherwise EBC is/was my backup. Take that for what it's worth.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 06:47 PM

Garage
Highwayman, I thought I had read that the Raider had the semi sintered as stock as well. From what I was seeing the replacement OEM/Yamahama were holding up well compared to factory sets. No idea why on that one...maybe product improvement from real world feedback? On my 1100 I replaced the pads with the EBC, I think semi sintered...seem to work well enough. Nothing crazy impressive like fling me off the bike when I first tried to stop haha, but longevity may be where they win out.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 07:20 AM
KCW

Garage
My front brakes have always squeaked on my 650 - at 37,000 miles they are still the original pads.
Never thought to try acetone - the universal dissolver!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

my best advice on this one is to not go cheap, and don't go with pads that have a shorter lifespan unless you don't put up a lot of miles on your bike. so this eliminates the organic and ceramic pads. ceramic pads are really only desired for racing applications. and organic pads may give you a smooth braking action, but they do not last as long as the others. kevlar pads probably give the best 'bite' in braking action, but also don't last as long as the others. if you're looking for the best combination of stopping power plus longevity, i would advise going with HH-sintered pads. i personally get about 2yrs/20,000 miles with them and am very satisfied with the stopping power over the life of them.

as for shop prices, any shop should be able to replace the pads on both your wheels in under an hour. really just a few minutes per wheel. and since most shops will probably charge their 1hr minimum labor price, and it's one of the most straight-forward services you can do on a bike, i'd recommend looking for an independent shop with lower service prices.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode