Polishing tire rims - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By graybeard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Polishing tire rims

My bike (650 Classic) has spoked wheels. Any tips on how to make polishing easier?

1999 V-Star 650 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 11:55 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabluz View Post
My bike (650 Classic) has spoked wheels. Any tips on how to make polishing easier?
Are they just dirty and dulled chrome or are you trying to bring a previous “Satin Finish” to a chrome shine??

Being ignorant is ok. Staying that way is stupid!
https://i.postimg.cc/2VBqg755/7-D6-B...75-B7-DD71.gif
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

easier than what? i don't have experience with spoked wheels, but i would probably use a metal polish like Brasso with some ultra fine steel wool, whichever grade you're supposed to use to polish metal.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 03:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo1981 View Post
easier than what? i don't have experience with spoked wheels, but i would probably use a metal polish like Brasso with some ultra fine steel wool, whichever grade you're supposed to use to polish metal.
Brasso like Neverdull is tough to find. Particularly Neverdull polish wading. I think it was environmental issues, but then isn’t everything?
There’s a great product I’ve used for decades called SIMICHROME POLISH. It’s a paste in a small tube but works awesome! If you use iwith a Dremel on a polishing wheel it makes quick work of any polish job.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 03:53 PM

Garage
I use a clear coat safe polishing compound on me spoked wheels. Any polishing compound that is safe for clear coat paint will clean them up good without causing any damage. Takes some eblow grease, but not too bad. After you get them done put wax on them. It will make them easier to clean between polishing them. This is one I use a lot.

Les B.
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefGunner View Post
Brasso like Neverdull is tough to find.
my local Home Depot carries it, and it's on their website. but there are probably 100 capable products you can easily find on amazon.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the answers. Yes, there is a bit of rust on my chrome rims. I have no idea when the rims were cleaned and polished the last time. The bike is almost 20 years old and only has 12,000 miles. Luckily, from what I have heard, it spent a lot of time inside a building. So far, the rust does get removed with a bit of elbow grease and a non abrasive polish. What I do want to know....is there a way to polish the rim because the spokes are so close together that I cannot really shine up the rim between the spokes with my fingers. I checked a bunch of sites and did not find anything for polishing between the spokes. I guess an old toothbrush and a small piece of cloth is my best bet. I have a dremel tool but there are few polishing accessories for the Dremel in my area.

1999 V-Star 650 Classic
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 07:23 AM

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for the answers. Yes, there is a bit of rust on my chrome rims. I have no idea when the rims were cleaned and polished the last time. The bike is almost 20 years old and only has 12,000 miles. Luckily, from what I have heard, it spent a lot of time inside a building. So far, the rust does get removed with a bit of elbow grease and a non abrasive polish. What I do want to know....is there a way to polish the rim because the spokes are so close together that I cannot really shine up the rim between the spokes with my fingers. I checked a bunch of sites and did not find anything for polishing between the spokes. I guess an old toothbrush and a small piece of cloth is my best bet. I have a dremel tool but there are few polishing accessories for the Dremel in my area.
That’s too bad because my first and best tool suggestion is a Dremel.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 06:44 PM

Garage
Quote:
Get some metal polish, hand it to the wife. She should be wearing the mandatory spoke cleaning uniform.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	motorcycle-wash.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	80992  
Diogenes415 likes this.

Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode