Front Tire extreme cupping and wear - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By Scrumdown
  • 2 Post By Diogenes415
  • 1 Post By Keith Post

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Front Tire extreme cupping and wear

I have a V-star 1100 and replaced my original Dunlop Tires on it 3 months ago with pirelli route 66 on front and rear. They are set to 36 psi. When I put the tires on I put on new brake pads. From the get go I felt a "buzzy" vibration from the front tire which I assumed was normal from the tread on the tire. The vibration got a little worse as I put miles on it. At about 1K miles I was a bit concerned about what might be causing the vibration. Wheel bearings were not hot at all and the tire would spin fine but I removed the tire and cleaned and greased the axle bolt and looked for scoring or anything abnormal. Saw nothing and put it together. Decided it is just the tread doing it.

At ~ 2K miles the tires starting looking about worn out. Little tread in the center and MASSIVE cupping on the sides. The side tread was also rough looking and not smooth and shinny like the center (like the compound was super soft). I do take the bike on a very curvy commute that goes Up and Down a mountain. I sometimes ride it very hard and I'm on and off the brakes but this is a cruiser so it is nothing like what a sport bike would put tires through.

I took the tire back to the shop I bought them from and they are replacing it for free, they contacted Pirelli and Pirelli wants the tire back. I did noticed that the Manufacture Date on the tire was 2012, but can't imagine that being a root cause.

My question is, has anyone else had an experience like this? Is there anything I need to check on my bike that could cause this. The Dunlops I wore out looked just fine other than they had 9K miles on them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 01:48 PM

Garage
I am leaning towards a defective tire.

I had put 4 new tires on the minivan I owned at the time. They were a name brand. After 2 weeks and about 1,000 miles I started getting a major humming and vibration from the front left. Look at my tires when I arrived at work. Saw nothing. Got about halfway home. It was so bad I said "F&@k this!" and changed to my spare. The rest of the ride home no humming or vibration. Took the wheel & tire to the place that did my tires and said I want a new tire. This one is defective. They tried to give me excuses that they couldn't & it needed to be on the vehicle.. Blah.. Blah .. Blah..
I pulled out a $100 bill put it on the counter and said ... "Put the tire and rim on your wheel balancer. If it doesn't shake the begeezus out of the machine. You can have this." Let's just say I left with my money and a brand new tire.

If memory serves me correctly, the rubber tread was separating from the steel belts, or something like that. The manager said, I was lucky it did not blow out on me.
bevo1981 and MajorSpittle like this.

No matter what you ride. Just ride!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorSpittle View Post
... I did noticed that the Manufacture Date on the tire was 2012, but can't imagine that being a root cause...
IMO six years is too old for a motorcycle tire. Granted, usually cupping is a result of an umbalanced tire or poorly functioning suspension but why bother trying to figure out why an old tire failed? If it was three or fewer years old, then I'd be concerned. But then again, how old is your bike, when was the last time the fork oil was changed and does it have the original springs?
bevo1981 and Scrumdown like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 08:00 PM

Garage
Hey MajorSpittle!
I gotta agree with both guys on your tire issue. Six years is a long time and Id be willing to bet that tire was defective to begin with which is why it was still around after all that time. Just my opinion, but mostly were glad it didnt you to crash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MajorSpittle likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes415 View Post
IMO six years is too old for a motorcycle tire. Granted, usually cupping is a result of an umbalanced tire or poorly functioning suspension but why bother trying to figure out why an old tire failed? If it was three or fewer years old, then I'd be concerned. But then again, how old is your bike, when was the last time the fork oil was changed and does it have the original springs?
It is a 2005 with 13,000 miles on it. I checked my rear tire better and it is cupped also, just not nearly as bad. After reading up on motorcycle tires and cupping, I have a feeling that it is just the combination of soft compound, aggressive tread design, and me running curvey roads hard on the bike. I have the new replacement tire on the bike and it is also stamped 2012. Correction, the 2012 that is stamped is NOT the manufacture date. I looked up how the manufacture date is placed on these tires and this one is 0718.... 7th week 2018. So I don't know the actual manufacture date on the tire that wore out, I looked at the wrong number originally.

Balance and suspension seem fine. I could take my hands off anytime and not get any wobbles and there was no bouncing, shaking.... there was no cupping in the center of the tread, just the sides from laying it into corners. From what I read on line it is normal for the sides of the tire tread to cup from cornering wear. The tire would have made it to maybe 4K miles, so I guess that is all those are good for if you ride them hard on twisties all the time.

This is the link to the article I read if anyone is intersted Motorcycle Tire Wear

Last edited by MajorSpittle; 07-20-2018 at 08:26 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 08:38 PM

This might help when your buying tires.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG2283.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	81498  

Riding is not just what I do but who I am.

Cherry 2007 650 Classic
The Strat 2010 Stratoliner Deluxe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode