Tire Recommendations Wanted - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Tire Recommendations Wanted

The service manual list the 2 tires recommended in the attached picture for my 2000 Yamaha Road Star Silverado.

What do you guys recommend?
Or
Give your opinion on what you've used/using.

I ride in enough wet whether that I want good grip. I am also not looking to break the bank.

Ride Smart! Ride Often!

No matter what you ride. Just ride!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 09:11 PM

Garage
Asking for tire recommendations is like asking what oil is best, 😀. Just kidding but almost as bad. I'm a Michelin Commander 2 user. Use two set on my 1100 and got over 20k miles out of them. Put them on my Harley, 5k miles and look almost new. I've run Bridgestone and Dunlop in the past. I like the ride on the Michelin and great tire wear. The Michelin do not follow road grooves as bad as others. They are good in wet weather and feel very secure. They do cost a little more but if you figure in their slow wear they are actually cheaper. To me it's a hassle changing tire so not having to change as often is a win.
Scrumdown likes this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 10:30 PM

Garage
Just curious Les, what tire pressure do you inflate those Michelins to? Factory recommendation or higher? Just got a bike with them on and they feel kind of hard to me.
Scrumdown likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 12:17 AM

Location: Western Colorado (Grand Junction) summers, Wickenburg, AZ winters.
Garage
--

On my Road Stars, I use an Austone taxi tire, 175/(78)R16 which gets me about 25,000 per tire running at 30#. My front tire is a REAR Mich.II, 150/80-16 running at 40#. The one I have on the longest should be down to 2/32nds at about 37,000 miles. It's only got 29,000 on it now.

I do get cupping sometimes on the fronts, but I just pull the wheel at around 15,000 miles and turn it around so the tread is going the other way. This seems to fairly well even out the leading edge ridges.

All mileages and depths are with a depth gauge as eyeballing how much tread is left is pretty much innaccurate. So to keep track of the amound of tread all across the bottom, use a gauge and log it.

--

--
How will I know when I get there if I don't know where I'm going?
--

Last edited by RonK; 04-19-2019 at 12:21 AM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 04:53 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post
Just curious Les, what tire pressure do you inflate those Michelins to? Factory recommendation or higher? Just got a bike with them on and they feel kind of hard to me.
I use Yamaha PSI. Notice there is different PSI based on load. Also I have spoked wheels and use inter tube, don't know if that affects feel any, doubt it.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 03:12 PM
KCW

Garage
Bertha is a road Star, Scrumdown should be able to find the bike pressure specs online, if he does not have the owners manual, or the factory sticker on the bike...
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
Bertha is a road Star, Scrumdown should be able to find the bike pressure specs online, if he does not have the owners manual, or the factory sticker on the bike...
I have the tire specs per the service manual.

I am curious if folks use the stock tires (Dunlops or Michelin) or if they use another brand? why for both stock or other?

Ride Smart! Ride Often!

No matter what you ride. Just ride!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 03:45 PM

Garage
I use Metzelers. That's what Yamaha outfitted them with and they work well for me.
fireteacher likes this.

For mad scientists who keep brains in jars, here’s a tip: why not add a slice of lemon to each jar, for freshness?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 08:09 AM

I’ve had the best success with Dunlop myself...although not on a Star, on my Harley, I have a set on the 1100 with 1 mile on them.
At my local Indy it was cheaper to put D404 set than
On my HDBagger I use Elite III
lesblank and Scrumdown like this.

BE WHO YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE

Last edited by Notgrownup; 04-20-2019 at 08:27 AM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 08:21 AM
KCW

Garage
I switched between the OEM mounted Bridgestone and Dunlop 404 tires on my 650, and liked the Bridgestone tires better

but Dunlop makes better tires than the 404s... its not just the brand you have to look at, its the specific tire.

Up to a point you get what you pay for. Buying cheap cheap cheap tires for a motorcycle is a loss, because it will cost you more to put the tires on the rims when they wear our quickly, than to buy a good tire that will last 20k miles on the front wheel, and 12 to 14 k miles on the rear.

another thing to consider, if you find a great bike and decide to sell yours, if you have really cheap tires on your bike, for some people that would be a deal breaker. You will feel like "I just put those on" and the buyer will be thinking "Im not riding on chinese tires!"
lesblank and Scrumdown like this.

Last edited by KCW; 04-20-2019 at 08:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode