The old tire question - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

The old tire question

Need a little help here. Michelin or Metzler ? Not thrilled with the Dunlops, so I want to try something else, anyone with experience with either, share your thoughts and please, just these 2, don't want to hear about Korean crap tires. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 08:26 PM

The old tire question

I use to ride a Suzuki and it came with Dunlop tires, when it was time to change I went to the Metzlers after riding them for the first time I was amazed at the difference it made. The ride was smoother, the grip on the rode was so much better, I felt like I had more control in curves with them, I said I would never use anything else. Since then I have bought my Vstar 950 and it has the dunlop tires, I will use the Metzlers for sure. I do also want to research a little more because I was told that Metzlers was bought out by a company in Austria .

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan68 View Post
Need a little help here. Michelin or Metzler ? Not thrilled with the Dunlops, so I want to try something else, anyone with experience with either, share your thoughts and please, just these 2, don't want to hear about Korean crap tires. Thanks
Well now, this one is like many times before, this rates right up there with best oil, best anything. Must comment and throw in his 2 cents (Sugar Bear is bad to do that)

I flat out love Metz, by far the best set I ever run, and I have run for a day or two But, all riders have their favorites and what works for each rider, therefore, there are many brands that folks swear by NONE are "THE BEST" Find a set you like and stick with them. There, you got a comment

Ride Safe, Live Long
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 05:23 AM
Banned

Metzler. .

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 06:25 AM

Garage
I ride Metz and don't regret it.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 09:48 PM

Garage
Ok, started with Dunlaps from the factory, wear 10,000 ride was tolerable. Went to Metzlers, ride for the first 500 miles was touchy like riding on marbles but it could have just been me, wear 14,000 miles. Trying the Michelin Commander II right now with 9,000 miles on it and still going strong. Looking at the new Metzler tires ME888 that are supposed to get 50% more wear than their previous tires. For the price the Michelin tires are less expensive and I haven't worn it completely out yet so I cannot tell you how much wear.

BLUE BIKE CLUB
Southern Chapter

2009 Vstar 950 - Ultimate Solo Seat, Full Fairing, 3-1" risers, Air Horn!!, Paladin removable sissy bar with luggage rack, Hard Bags and a Mustache Bar.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 01:08 PM

The old tire question

I forgot to tell you that I also started putting Nitrogen in my tires and I went from getting 10 to 12 thousand miles on rear tires to getting 23000 miles on rear tire and 27000 on front tire. I know everyone has opinion about Nitrogen but this is my experience.

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 07:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edbonds View Post
I forgot to tell you that I also started putting Nitrogen in my tires and I went from getting 10 to 12 thousand miles on rear tires to getting 23000 miles on rear tire and 27000 on front tire. I know everyone has opinion about Nitrogen but this is my experience.

That would definitely be worth looking into, after all it would make the new Metzelers go up to 40,000. A motorcycle tyre that lasts as long as a car tire.

BLUE BIKE CLUB
Southern Chapter

2009 Vstar 950 - Ultimate Solo Seat, Full Fairing, 3-1" risers, Air Horn!!, Paladin removable sissy bar with luggage rack, Hard Bags and a Mustache Bar.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input. I think I'm going to try the Michelin this time around, seems as tho I really can't go wrong with either
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 06:29 AM
Banned

Michelin?
All above give kudos to the Metz over the Michelin.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode