I need a tire - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

I need a tire

The stock tire is a Dunlop. What would be a good replacement tire and tube for the front? What should I avoid.

JaBo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 08:31 PM

My humble opinion is the metzeler 880. I put a set on my v star custom and just got back from a 240 mile trip. Awesome tire in comarison to the old dunlop. My rear tire is the max 200 size, looks mostly.

I will tell you that you will get as many opinions as there are tires.

Guess it's time for me to ride
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 08:45 PM

Tires

Guess I don't have a favorite tire but I try to stick to the tires that come on the bike. They are the tires chosen by Yamaha. On my bike that would be Bridgestone and Dunlop. But, you will be happy with most of the popular brands.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for replying to my thread, for I am a new rider and dont know or have anyone around me to answer questions.

JaBo
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 05:34 AM

Metzeler 880, you won't be disappointed.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

ok. I just got the Metzler 880 and I can really tell the differance. The tire sticks like glue and handles a heck of a lot better. The Dunlop tire that was on it was 5 years old and had 3800 miles on it and was dry rotting.
Now I dont have to worry about a blow out.

JaBo
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 06:06 PM

Metz

I think you will be very happy with the Metz, as you say, stick good. Just me, but they are the best ride and best feel of any tires I have used, different strokes, you know. Ride Safe.

Ride Safe, Live Long
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 09:58 AM

When I changed my front from the original DunLop to Metz at around 7500K I could not believe the difference in feel, all good.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 11:58 AM

I am also getting ready to put new rubber on my bike. I have tried Metzlers several years ago. Set #2 on my Vstar. Was not impressed Felt like I was riding on marbles on wet roads. Maybe Metzler has changed the rubber compound since then. I will admit they felt great on dry roads.
Of the ones I have tried I liked the Dunlop D404 the best. Currently have Pirelli MT66, not impressed.
Does anyone know if Metzler has changed the ME880 recently?Making it better for wet roads, I seem to spend a lot of miles on them riding around Puget sound.
Has anyone tried the Michelin Commander tire?

Doug

Live to Ride, Ride to Live, Work to support Life

Last edited by DMTJOY; 05-30-2010 at 12:21 PM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 06:06 PM

I still find the Metzler very slippery in the wet. I am currently looking for a good replacement. My Metz only has 1000km on it and is very slippery on wet roads. I will sacrifice longevity for good tire performance in wet and dry any day so I am looking for a softer compound tire. I seem to read on many of these forums that most riders (most not all IMO )are fair weather riders and are looking more for good mileage and dry weather performance out of a tire, hence Dunlop and Metz get alot of good comments. They are good in the dry but not great in the wet when you really need that cornering confidence. Anyone experienced good wet weather tires??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode