Would you replace this tire? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

Would you replace this tire? (pic)

So I'm still kinda new to bikes, and the bike I just sold had brand new tires on it 2 days after I bought it because the old ones were over 10 years old. The bike is tracking really bad, following just about every groove she comes across. The front tire tread is pretty low so I ordered a new ME880 yesterday. This morning I was out looking at the rear, and I'm just not sure. It was manufactured in January 2007, so that worries me a bit, but should it? There is some light cracking on the tire... hell, you be the judge. If I need to order a new rear, I'll go ahead and do that. I'm doing one new MC tire to give me time to learn the bike and get comfortable with her, then I'm probably going DS...

Last edited by Kraig; 06-19-2013 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Spell like a 'tard....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 12:46 PM

Kraig,
Yes, replace the tire. It's six years old and starting to crack (dry rot). Motorcycle tires need to be able to grip the road and older dry tires do not grip. It's a small price to pay for the safety it offers. You don't want any surprises when entering that decreasing radius turn (like the rear tire slipping out from under you).

Jeff
BLUE BIKE CLUB
2012 V-Star 950T-Impact Blue

Kuryakyn ISO grips
Back-Off taillight modulator
OEM passing lights
OEM luggage rack
OEM engine guards, saddlebag guards and trim rails
Marlin Talon gauges
Show Chrome Headlight & Passing Light visors
Mustang 2 piece wide touring seat with backrest/studs
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the confirmation, Postmaster! I was actually at the shop ordering a new tire when you posted this. I will definitely feel a lot more confident knowing that I've got good tires, just making the bike that much more fun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 07:36 PM

I'm usually in and out for under $500. Small price to pay for the peace of mind to take a turn at speed.

2001 Yamaha Roadstar
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 07:54 PM

I'd replace just on age and the wear you described.

If you've never ridden on brand-new tires, take it easy until they are scuffed a bit. They will be slick until then.

2007 Stratoliner 1900 S {RIP July 21, 2017}

2006 V Star 1100 Classic
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, Jay, that's just about what it's gonna run me for new 880's front and rear installed. Maybe a few bucks less. I got such a good deal on the bike, spending $500 on tires will still leave me way ahead on the deal.

And I thought I was gonna save money riding a bike to work! HA! Should have read the forums, first... but now I'm hooked and it's too damn late to turn back now!

Thanks for the heads up, Meischa! While I was at the shop I was talking to my service guy about the bike following the grooves. All of a sudden the owner chimes in and starts trying to sell me on a fork truss, saying that would solve all my problems and that new tires probably weren't gonna do it by themselves. Is this just some kind of voodoo snake oil or is he on the up and up?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 08:09 PM

I've seen them on Harley's. Never noticed much difference - but I've not ridden that many Harley's.

I have ridden bikes with perfectly good tires that still tracked poorly due to other problems. And I've ridden bikes with perfectly good tires that seemed to grab every rut and groove in the road - due to poor fork maintenance (springs, oil, seals, overall setup).

2007 Stratoliner 1900 S {RIP July 21, 2017}

2006 V Star 1100 Classic
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 06:35 AM

What do you ride? I have a 2000 Road Star that I just dark sided and I love it! I don't really notice a difference because I didn't put on a wide tire. I went 175/60/16 (smart car tire) and I think that made all the difference. I have a friend with a 215 on the back of a Strat & that bike tracks quite noticeably.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

~~~
2000 Road Star Silverado 1600
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 06:43 AM Thread Starter

I'm on an '04 1100 Classic... owner had never heard of DS and freaked out when I mentioned it. Said that was the dumbest thing he'd heard of. Guess that shop won't be added to the DS install list
I think even if it does keep tracking with the new tires I'll be ok... just knowing that I don't have much tread on these and how old they are is what's freaking me out...
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 12:57 PM

Well I can't recommend DS enough! Good luck whatever way you go!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

~~~
2000 Road Star Silverado 1600
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode