I've gotta try a different brand tire! - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

I've gotta try a different brand tire!

I ran my original Dunlop D404 on my 650 classic to 9000 miles, it was basically bald by 8000 but I kept going. Replaced it with another D404 and this one is already at and probably beyond the wear bars at 6000. How is this tire worn out already? The 650 is not a heavy or strong bike, I'm easy on the rear brake and use the front as often as possible. I've been keeping it at 38-40psi.

What I also don't understand is how that same model tire on another bike can last much, much longer. My dad's two bikes are an Electra Glide and a Sportster 1200. He runs a Dunlop E3 on the glide and gets 20,000 miles out of the rears. On the Sporty he runs the D404 and get up to 15,000 miles. How is that? The Sportster is a bit heavier than my 650 and a hell of alot stronger. As proof he showed me an old tire he kept from his sportster that he says has 12500 miles on it. It's hanging in his barn and has plenty of tread left on it through the middle. He admits he changed it too soon and should have kept going. He looks at my tire and is amazed. He says he runs his rears at 45psi and that's the key to their long life. I'm thinking I just go with a different brand and stay away from the D404.

What are other 650 owners running and what kind of mileage are you getting out of them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013, 03:03 PM

I ran my 1100 on fresh blacktop this summer and when I accelerated I looked in my rear view mirrors and saw that it chewed up the blacktop everytime the the two cylinders hit. I repeated the acceleration 2 more times and the same happened each time. So I considered how the power was being distributed to the rear tire, its not like a inline 4 cylinder motor with its smooth power band. The vtwin hits hard on its two cylinders, takes a break on the exhaust and intake cycles then bangs out the power again. If I had to guess I would say a good part of my tire wear happens on acceleration. FYI I have a Dunlop d404 with 7800 miles and will go 8500 if im lucky.

Last edited by Dairy Guy; 09-18-2013 at 06:47 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

This morning I just ordered The Michelin Commander II both front and rear. Free shipping from motorcycle superstore.com for a grand total of $249. Not going to put them on right away, my front Dunlop 404 still has plenty of tread and I think I'll run the rear about another 1000 at least. Feel like I didn't get my money's worth out of it. Only had it on one year and at a cost of $250 I think the fact that motorcycle tires can wear so quickly is BS. They can't come out with a harder compound tire (for those who want it) that can easily do 25-30K? Can but won't. I see why folks go to car tires, I would if they had the right size for my bike. Oh well, hopefully the Michelins last a bit longer as advertised.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 02:46 PM

The motorcycle tire industry is a racket. There is absolutely no reason why they cant make arc/curved belts like bike tires with the same compounds and depth of tread that car tires get 50k to 75k miles off of. Back in the 60s and 70s the tread on bike tiers would last a lot longer.
BTW Michelin C II are awesome tires. But I still managed to wear one out in 5,000 miles. That's better than any other brand I've used.

2011 Impact Blue Stryker
Cobra Speedster Slash Downs
K&N air filter
o2 mod
OEM short backrest and pad
PCS lowering kit set at 2.25"
240 rear tire
Handle bar risers
Side mount license plate
Saddle bags
stealth slipstream shield
Wife's bike SOLD
2013 Pearl White Stryker
Wife's new bike,
2013 impact blue Roadstar Siverado S 1700cc
ISO grips
Cobra back bar and rack
studded seat covers.
Mic tassels
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 03:18 PM

Is there any alignment adjustment on the rear tire?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode