Pirelli vs Dunlop - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Question Pirelli vs Dunlop

Had to replaced both tires at the beginning of the season last year. Did a lot of search on the internet and finally decided to go with the Dunlop. Rode the season with tire manufacturer air pressure for 2 up, 40 psi (checked and adjusted every week). I rode for about 9000 KM and the rear is pretty well gone. Probably could squeeze another 1000 km out of it but no more. So I have to get a new rear tire next spring. I am undecided between Pirelli MT66 and Metz Marathon 880. I am a bit concerned with the wet traction of the Metz (according to a few reviews). I might just go with the MT66. Your thoughts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 03:49 PM

Garage
Dunlop

My bikes came with Dunlop, The Yamaha shop has Dunlop so I use dunlop. I have read many a post on tires and most all report from 8000 too 12000 miles no matter what tire they are running.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacVstar1100 View Post
Had to replaced both tires at the beginning of the season last year. Did a lot of search on the internet and finally decided to go with the Dunlop. Rode the season with tire manufacturer air pressure for 2 up, 40 psi (checked and adjusted every week). I rode for about 9000 KM and the rear is pretty well gone. Probably could squeeze another 1000 km out of it but no more. So I have to get a new rear tire next spring. I am undecided between Pirelli MT66 and Metz Marathon 880. I am a bit concerned with the wet traction of the Metz (according to a few reviews). I might just go with the MT66. Your thoughts
Hi Mac, anyone who has read my posts know I am a big Metz880 fan, best I have ever run, comfort, stickieness, long wear,on my Silverado they are by far the best(for me). I run Dunlop on my 750 and that's all I run there, love em.

I do not know about the wet traction thing, I have read that too, but I slow down so much in the rain, it would not be a fair test. Mileage lies in your right hand, right foot and tire pressure Ride safe

Ride Safe, Live Long
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacVstar1100 View Post
On the 1100 metzler only, on the liner 205/55/17 c/t.
Jim
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

Smile most sold tire

Thanks to everyone for their feedback. One thing that seems obvious from the review I read on various sellers internet site is that there is more Dunlop tire sold than any of the other brand. I reached this conclusion based solely on the number of reviews (favorable or not).

Anyone out there working in tire sale could confirm this?

Also based on the general comments found in various forums , the Dunlop seems to be good tires but the main complaint is poor tread life. If it is the case and based on tread life alone, I would have to put 75% more mileage on a Metz compared to a Dunlop (based on the cost difference) to break even. Since I put 9000 km on my last Dunlop I would have to put 15750 on a Metz...

Because the Pirelli MT66 are just slightly more expensive than the Dunlop, I would be OK if I can put the same mileage on them as I did on my Dunlop.

So the question remains: D404 or MT66?

Last edited by MacVstar1100; 02-06-2011 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Adding text
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

i couldn't find any article that shows which is the best selling motorcycle tire or even the best selling motorcycle tire company. and it's even tougher to determine since there are so many different motorcycle classes and different tires for each class, but i'd have to guess that Dunlop is the best selling based on no evidence whatsoever.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 01:45 PM

Dunlop 404's are listed as an economy tire, try the Dunlop k555. Just ordered 1 for the rear and a Dunlop Cruisemax for the front(www)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 03:12 PM

In my opinion, i believe that metzlers or avon makes the best tire for cruisers. Metzlers being a little better.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 12:46 AM
Super Moderator

just put on a dunlop elite3 on my rear and it's a huge upgrade over the bridgestone. i cut across lanes a lot smoother and it seems to make the bike a little more responsive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode