Tire change-condition or calendar - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Tire change-condition or calendar

I have heard that motorcycle tires should be replaced on time, or wear. I have not seen that written and was wondering about wht is the norm.

I am purchasing a bike that had new tires in 07, then was stored in a climate control garage til now. Tread of course is great, bud a buddy advises that they may be hard from time. (he has no expertise, but had "hard" tires on his that he discovered when he bought new ones. his hard tires were also worn too."

Thanks,
larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 10:10 AM

6 years is the recommended life span for motorcycle tires. At one time I had a good link for motorcycle tire info but can't find it now.

BLUE BIKE CLUB

2008 ROAD STAR

2008 KAWASAKI KLR 650

2014 Triumph Tiger 800 XC

My ride videos. http://www.youtube.com/user/roadstarblue/videos

Never run out of traction, ideas, and real estate at the same time.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. Should you find the source it would be nice to read.

Drifting a bit,..... Yamaha has recommended bi-annual brake fluid change, and 4 yr hose life, yet no one who I have talk to does it. Any comments why?

Thanks again,
larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 11:19 AM

I know I would not use a bike with 7 year old tyres, it's just not worth the risk as tyres definitly do go off with age.

Brake fluid is hygroscopic, i.e. it absorbs water from the air around so that it becomes compressable, not good for hydraulic fluid. Brake lines can also deteriorate and begin to bulge upon brake application thus making braking less efficient.

Certainly in damp climates like we get here in England it is good practice to change fluid regularly.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrym View Post

Drifting a bit,..... Yamaha has recommended bi-annual brake fluid change, and 4 yr hose life, yet no one who I have talk to does it. Any comments why?

Thanks again,
larry
Yeah. Because I'm lazy.

I don't know what the tire life is because I can't stop riding over nails. I love it. Like smoking meth, can't kick the habit.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

I found the answer from Dunlop....

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/info-center/faq/

At what age is a tire no longer usable?
Service life is dependent on many variables such as inflation pressure, storage, driving conditions, loads, general maintenance and abuse. Scientific or technical data indicate that a specific minimum or maximum service life cannot be objectively established. It is not appropriate to establish an arbitrary tire removal date based on chronological age due to the wide variety of factors affecting a tire’s service life.

larry
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 06:30 AM

Believe me......replace the tires if they are 6 years old, ESPECIALLY if they are junk donlops! My son's sidewalls split at almost exactly 6 years with a lot of tread left on them. Most of the tires life was spent in a garage.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 09:40 PM

Yep, there are many things to consider(ask bevo) with the tire thing, many riders never have to worry about the time thing, they wear em out riding before dry rot ect is a problem. If you ride a ton, if you keep the tire pressure up to kosher you will be fine, I think. Read your tire walls to see what the pressure should be, not the book. On my 880 Metz, I run 40 and 42 and 20K is normal for me for the set w/tread left a good bit on the front.

Ditto what my friend rmccutchan said

Ride Safe, Live Long
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 03:07 PM

Garage
My take on tires is, if you have to ask, change them. If you have doubts about them, then that will always be in the back of your mind and one day, God forbid ..... We have enough to worry about when riding. I would get myself a nice set of Metzler 888 and be done with it . As for the brake fluid. It should be changed at the very least once every two years. That of course is my SWAG. We are all guilty of not changing the brake fluid in our cages and other vehicles.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/

Last edited by Corsair; 11-29-2013 at 05:02 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 04:40 PM

Thumbs up

I love to look for bikes on Craigslist and they will show pictures of how good the tires are on 7 year old and older bikes with 2000 miles.
If you look really close you will see cracks inside the grooves on a lot of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode